Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

arisaema seeds

sheltieche
17 years ago

I have several arisaema seeds germinated- flavum, amurense, consangineum, couple of others including sauromatum venosum.

They were started 10-20 seeds in 2 in pots and now most of them up and have first leaf or whatever constitutes for one.

Anyway, I was wondering should I leave them to grow tight in their small pots or should I separate them into individual cells. Space under lights a premium... but I want what is best for my babies...

Comments (2)

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Lindalana, I'm new to this myself, and this is the first time I've tried arisaema. I've grown Arum italicum from seed however. From what I read and the answers I've got here and on other forums, arisaema seedlings start to die back and go dormant in a few months and then need a cold rest to restart growth. I planted A tortuosum and A flavum seed on October 30 and had 100% germination with tortuosum and 95% with flavum. The tortuosum went dormant a few weeks ago, and I dug them and put them in the fridge in a vial with some moist peat. The tubers were about garden pea size. The flavum are starting to go dormant this week but might hold on a bit longer. I'll try to keep them growing as long as possible to get larger tubers. I also have consanguineum and taiwanense seed planted in january. The former is now up to 85% and the latter just starting to show. Also have sikokianum and more tortuosum from a different source planted last week, but nothing happening there yet.

I think I'll treat them all as I did the first batch of tortuosum. Will leave in the fridge about 3 months then replant spaced out in bigger pots.

George

• lilydude
    17 years ago

Lindalana, 2" pots are much too small. I would plant 10 to 16 plants in a 1-gallon pot full of good potting mix with 1/2 teaspoon of bone meal and a little dolomite lime mixed into it. Fertilize with soluble fertilizer, like 20-20-20, and don't let the mix dry out. Keep in strong light, but not direct sunlight, and don't let the mix get too warm. 60-65F is a good temperature range.

My A. candidissimum seedlings are still growing after 4 months, and show no signs of stopping. I have them under fluorescents in the basement. Some of the seeds came up in October, and some are still germinating now.

Since your seedlings are too crowded in the little pot, you should fill the 1-gallon pot with mix and then transplant the seedlings individually, spacing them out evenly, so they have lots of room to grow, and get lots of light. Do not let the roots dry out while you are transplanting. Get them into the bigger pot as fast as possible. I have found that bulb-forming plants do much better if their roots have lots of room. Grow them like potatoes. If you do it right, you will knock 1 or 2 years off the time to flowering size.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz