Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spathiphyllum - stake needed or underplanted??

Posted by hazelhoozemaflappit PA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 10:23

Hi folks,

I read a lot of posts on this site before repotting our offices Peace Lily yesterday. I used a coarser soil mix including orchid mix and only went up 2 inches in pot size from a 10 inch pot to a 12 inch pot.

Here is a pic of the plant: http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj520/hazelhoozemaflappit/517789655.jpg

Did I repot it poorly?

Can we stake that thick root at the bottom so the stalks of the plant stand up? The leaves are pointing outward trying to trip people in the office as they walk by.

Thanks for any responses or help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spathiphyllum - stake needed or underplanted??

Hazel,

For some reason I couldn't bring up the picture. Spaths are somewhat fast growing plants in proper conditions so it will probably need to be repotted again within a year. If the leaves were growing upwards before you repotted it it could be the soil is too dry. These plants like an evenly moist soil so make sure it was well watered after you repotted it. I don't understand what you mean about the root since I cant see the picture but there should be no roots above the soil. Best way to repot a plant is to loosen the root ball and remove as much of the old potting soil as possible. Place some new soil in the pot then lower the plant into the pot. The top of the root ball should be about an inch or so below the pot rim. Surround the root ball with new soil until you just cover the top of the rootball again making sure there is about an inch or so of space from the rim. This is so that when you water it does not run out of the pot onto the floor and can be sure that space fills with water to be sure the entire rootball is evenly watered. Also make sure after repotting water comes out of the bottom of the pot to be sure all the soil has been moistened. Hope this helps.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here