Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Colocasia Black Coral vs. Diamond Head

aachenelf z5 Mpls
11 years ago

I grew Black Coral last summer and was really impressed with the color and texture. The leaves looked like they were made of black, shiny plastic. Very striking to say the least.

I was noticing another black one - Diamond Head and was wondering if there is much difference between that one and Black Coral. I don't have unlimited space, so I have to be careful about adding new plants. If it has qualities Black Coral doesn't, I'll order it, but if it's too similar - well, I'd like to know. I haven't found any really good photos online to help me out.

Kevin

Comments (9)

• radaar
    11 years ago

Hi Kevin

I just ordered Black Coral a few days ago and am anxious to see how it does for me. I'm in zone 5b in Canada and the plants aren't shipped till mid to late April and are small.
    Sorry I can't help with the Diamond Head but have you read about it on the Plants delights website ? Sounds like it would be different enough to me to give it a try.
    Hopefully someone that has both can offer first hand info.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

radaar

Thanks for the response. I forgot to check the Plants Delight website. They usually have some of the best descriptions and often some of the better photos.

I don't think you'll be sorry with Black Coral. The plant I received last spring was very small and it grew to a decent size by the end of July. Here's a photo taken then:

{{gwi:275921}}

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does this summer. In fact I just repotted it a couple of days ago after it's winter storage and now have 5 of 'em. It really is an amazing plant.

Kevin

• radaar
    11 years ago

That is stunning........if mine does half as well as yours I'll be thrilled.
    I'm not having much luck finding a Canadian supplier for the Diamond head. I've ordered other ee's from the US that come in tubers but can't order the ones that come as plants......too bad.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I have both and they are very similar to each other. black coral has a better black color and better finish to the leaves. also has the blue veins. Diamond head has more of a brown color to it and I think the stems were a bit differant. diamond head gave me a much larger leaf each time. it also exhibits a quality if left in full sun to turn itself almost inside out. instead of the leaf cupping up like most colo. it will lay back and form an umbrella shape. If you are looking for a new dark colo. try colocasia "puckered up" by Brian Williams. should be shipping in late march.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

ya beat me to the punch there mike...

Diamond heads great!

but ill be waiting to see what brian releases next season before getting any new colocasia...he had some wicked stuff in his trial garden

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another one I really liked from last year was 'Blue Hawaii'. Again received a very small plant in early spring and it was pretty impressive by late summer. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does this year.

Kevin

{{gwi:258528}}

{{gwi:269677}}

• miketropic
    11 years ago

my blue hawaiian did well for awhile then it hit a road block and just put out small leaves the rest of summer IDK what happened to it

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

that one you didnt name thats in that pic is alocasia hypnosa?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope. That's Alocasia 'Mayan Mask' another new one from last season. I was pretty impressed with how much it grew in one season considering how small the plant was when I received it.

Kevin

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer