Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicallvr

Advice on fastest growing EEs for cool/short summers.

tropicallvr
16 years ago

I have tried a few Colocasias, Alocasias, and Xanthosomas while living in Coastal Northwestern California, and found only a few really excelled on the cool coast(rarely over 70F, similar to foggiest parts of SF). Well now I just moved to NW Montana, and I'm at a fairly high elevation, with cool summer nights, and a fairly short growing season. What Elephant Ears would do best for my short, and cold night growing season?

So far I have Alocasia calidora, and Colocasia fontessei ordered since they seemed to be the best growers for me in California. I have tried so many others that preformed very badly in cool coastal California, that I'm apprehensive about spending any more money. Are there any Alocasias, Colocasias, Xanthos that I'm forgetting? Alocasia wentii maybe??

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)

• bihai
    16 years ago

Gosh I wish I could answer your question. We don't have to deal with that kind of weather here, just with the wham bam thank you ma'am frosts and freezes. I hope someone knows.

• philofan
    16 years ago

I agree with your two first choices tropicallvr. They do well for me here in California. Also look into A. 'portora' which looks better than my A. calidora this winter. A real cold hardy variety is C. esculenta 'Pink China'. Also check Plant Delights for some nice new hybrids.

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input, and the heads up on plant delights, their new diamond head looks really awesome, and a good substitute for black magic. I might break the bank ordering from those guys though.
    I think I will order a A. portidora, I had mold problems with it when I lived in CA, but that may not be a problem here.

• philofan
    16 years ago

I recently received the Diamond Head, and it looks great. It will be even nicer when it clumps out. Blue Hawaii is also pretty nice.

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How big was your Diamond Head? I have been apprehensive about ordering from PDN because I've heard that the plants(palms) are really tiny.

• philofan
    16 years ago

They're about a foot tall with one or more leaves. All of my colocasias are doing fine, and putting out new growth. I also got some of their new variegated agaves which are small, but finished size. I've ordered in the past, and am happy with their plants so far. There aren't other sources for these hybrids if you decide you really like them.

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Philofan,
    Now I'm gonna order the diamond head(haven't decided on which other one yet), and their steroidal giant rice paper plant which gets enourmous.

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Not sure what your zone is.
    I can only speak for my spot in IL in 5a. I consider our season a short one also.
    My preference is for large plants that can successfully overwinter inside.
    If that is your style too then get the upright elephant ear, Odora rather than esculenta.
    I have no happy experiences to report with colocasia or xanthosoma lime zinger in my zone as they overwinter poorly... maybe just 2 winters.

This year I am trying these 3 giants in a neck to neck race:
    Borneo Giant
    Calidora
    Borneomac.
    Email me in the fall for the winner on size. Contact me in a year for outcome of overwintering success.

Karen

Sponsored