Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Too early to bring Illustris in from garage?

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

I let frost kill the tops of my Illustris elephant ears and then put the pots in the garage for the winter. Wondering if I can bring them inside now or if I should wait until it's warm enough outside. Can you tell I'm anxious for spring? Our last frost date is April 15th but we'll have days warm enough to set them outside around mid March I think .

Do they need a certain amount of time to remain dormant? I watered them this week and now thinking that wasn't a good idea. I don't want them to rot. Do you think I should bring them into the house?

Comments (7)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

My understanding is they don't need any dormancy at all, so if you have a place with good light you could bring it in. I'm of course much warmer here in south Louisiana than you are, but my 'Illustris' has been outside for several years now. This crazy winter they kept starting into growth and then getting nipped, but I'm sure they'll be fine. Seems funny to me that they do much better in a very large self-watering pot than in the ground where I thought they'd be protected from the cold better--think I've lost that whole patch. But that was more because of last year's drought. I water, but not enough.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Greenelbows - I brought my pots of Illustris inside today and put them by a sunny window and will move them outside when it's warm enough. Last year, I planted two in the ground on the east side of my house and left two in pots on my west facing porch and the ones in the ground grew a little better. I have trouble remembering to water my pots but don't have the self-watering type. I think I need some of those. : )
    If I have enough Illustris plants someday, I might try leaving one in the ground. The plain green elephant ears can get through our winters (barely) but I usually dig them.

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

I brought all my colocasia and alocasia in from the garage already weeks ago, it takes several weeks of warmth to trigger growth so it's not too early, keep them by a sunny window until a few lvs have sprouted, then you can begin hardening them off for the outdoors - there's no point rushing to plant outside because they'll grow quicker inside; 50F night temps are needed for sustained growth, for me in Zone 7 this is not until May.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Several weeks?! I guess I can stop checking them twice a day then. lol Thanks

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I decided to re-pot my Illustrises since two of them were in regular garden soil. I moistened some new potting mix and put them in that. Hope that wasn't a bad idea. I DID find some some new growth at the end of the little tubers/roots when I took them out of the pots so at least I know they're alive. Now if I can just keep them from rotting before they're completely up.

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

It has now been 3 weeks of warmth (room temp), and only now am I starting to see some green sprouts from my colocasias.

Do not overwater the soil, there aren't roots yet to absorb the water so do not encourage rot. A little sprinkling and warmth is all that is needed to stimulate growth

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update - I have four sprouts altogether now and two of them have leaves unfurling. I've been setting them outside in the morning when it's warm. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH