Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Thailand Giant questions

bossjim1
12 years ago

I bought a Thailand Giant last year, and kept it in a 20" pot. It did good but never reached it's full potential so I'm planting it out in the garden this spring. My questions are, can I plant it deeper than it was in the pot? If I can, is there an advantage to doing it?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (9)

• eclayne
    12 years ago

Hi Jim, Interested to hear what kind of response you get. Do you leave outside year round in z9? We obviously have very different growing conditions here but TG like other Colocasia send there roots out from near the top of the tuber. Many garden sites say plant 2-3 inches deep. I plant in a depression at that depth but a couple of inches below the surrounding soil then add 2 to 3" of my compost on top. Keeps the soil moist but is still airy.
    Evan

• ctnchpr
    12 years ago

@bossjim, Evan gave you some good info. As each leaf withers, remove the petiole, add soil to cover the new part of the tuber, and new roots will grow. Here is one of my TG leaves from last year...

{{gwi:312066}}

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! That's what I'm shooting for! Last year, in the pot, mine produced some 3'X 4' leaves, but I know it is capable of leaves in the range of 4'X 5'. Your picture proves that.

Actually, I planted it yesterday, exactly as Evan had suggested. When I removed it from the pot, I was surprised to find that most of the roots were forming near or above the surface. I planted it in a depression, about 2" deeper than it was it the pot, so I'll have room to add more soil as it grows.

Evan, now that it's in the ground, I will leave it out year round.

Thank you both for your advice.
    Jim

• eclayne
    12 years ago

ctn, What a leaf and model and Jim we expect to see some pics this summer :).

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Jim just be sure your in zone 8 or higher if you leave it in the ground. This particular specie/clone does not produce tubers and cold and wet will rot it. In order to get these plants to their full potential they do require lots of heat,light, water and fertilizer. This particular specie however does not like to sit in water but does like a moist well draining soil. I grow mine in a 36 inch high 20 inch wide urn .

• illinoisdoglover
    12 years ago

I am just jumping in here. Can you grown these in a pot for the season and then save bulb for indoors during winter months. I am zone5a and would love to see this beauty growing here as an annual. Where do you buy these and how much do they usually cost. Thank you

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Yes you can but remember this plant gets huge and needs a very large pot to reach it's full potential. It does not produce a tuber as esculenta hybrids do but a very thick trunk with enlarged roots. I store mine dry in an open plastic bag and take it out a few times during winter and let it soak in a bucket for a few hours then let it dry off a bit before putting it back. As it gets older I'm hoping to not have to do this. There are a number of places that sell this plant such as Plant Delights and Brian's Botanicals but bought mine and others from Well Spring Gardens on Ebay for $4.99. It came in a 3" deep pot with about three leaves. I didn't mind the smaller size as Colocasias grow very fast.

Scott

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

FWIW I overwinter my Thai Giant in the ground in zone 6b.
    We cover the area with thick plastic to keep out the water, top that with about 6 inches of straw, then another thick piece of plastic to top it off. We usually bury a few heat mats in the straw with the cord sticking out to use if the temps are set to go below 10 degrees F or so- needless to say this last winter we never needed it.

• lomodor
    12 years ago

super pic!! mine got huge 2 yrs ago..i plant mine in
    good compost soil,but i dont think i watered them enough
    or fertilized them enough..
    i got my original plants from brians botanicals..great guy!!
    last yr my thai giants put off a TON of pups.. the mother
    plants never got really big.. maybe 7' tall..
    im thinking the pups took alot of the energy from the mother plants..and i should have fertilized them more
    ??
    overwintered thai giants did good ..yea ! i'll be potting them up soon
    cant wait for summer..as hot as its suppose to get..
    hope to see more posting on EE thanks

Sponsored