Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_e_uk

Philodendron melanochrysum problem.

chris_e_uk
16 years ago

I have potted up a new cutting of Philo. Melanochrysum a few months ago and put in tropical greenhouse and everything was going great, each leaf slightly bigger than the last until the leaves got to about 8-10 inches long then all of a sudden for no apparent reason the new leaves have started getting smaller as it continued producing new leaves, now the new leaves it produces are only 2/3 inches big. I have not moved the plant in all this time and changed nothing in the way i have looked after it and i am totally baffled as to why it has starting producing smaller and smaller leaves.

Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• philofan
    16 years ago

If the stem is long enough, provide a small totem for it to climb on. Philodendrons really react to having support, and will even bring about change in the leaf size and shape.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are you suggesting that a philodendron that is left to its own devices and left to dangle in mid-air, then it will suffer, but to train the plant 'upwards' on a totem-pole will encourage proper growth.

• philofan
    16 years ago

Yes. I've had some dangle, but will grab onto the wall to move upward. There is a mechanism in the plant that changes its morphology. Shinglers (i.e. Rhaphidophoras) are a good example of this, which start out flat against their support but emerge with larger leaves similar to monsteras.

Not letting the plant dry out too much can also help. You'll get the best results in a humid environment.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help, i've now trained to a moss-pole so i'll wait for some decent growth to return.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

I have left cuttings of this sp. to vine along the ground so as to build up stock . They never get large leaves until very well established on a strong support . It can be a difficult species to grow to perfection.

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you have to train it up a pole/support to get maximum growth and it takes years to grow large mature leaves, who tall does the support have to be!!!!!!!

• aroideana
    16 years ago

Not that tall , it gets very close internodes when mature .
    2m would be ok .

• chris_e_uk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou very much for your help, there seems to be something wrong with my tropical greenhouse enviroment because it is not such the Philodendron Melanochrysum that is sending out small leaves, other species of Philodendron are also doing the same, in particular Philo.Giganteum whose leaves have started getting smaller for no apparent reason. I also grow ALocasia and Anthurium in the same greenhouse with no problems, its just the darn Philo's dont seem to like it in there and i don't no why.

• dps_patel_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have a Philodendron plant which has grown abt two meters however lately it is not producing leaves since last two months. What could be the reason?

Sponsored