Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

Konjac- And ...they're off!

cheerpeople
17 years ago

Looks like she's on the go- 4 inches tall today.

Anyone else off to the races? lol!

Karen

Comments (4)

• aroideana
    17 years ago

I planted my largest tuber out in a bed about 4 months ago , and it is just now sprouting out , had high hopes for a flower , but its now shown the strat of a leaf .
    So mine is late , and seems yours is early , thats presuming you are in USA ?

• ccdisce
    17 years ago

I stored the A Kojacs and the 'bulbils' in dry soil in my basement last November and was suprised yesterday that the older ones were peeking out of the soil. I guess that they want to bloom this year as they weigh in at around 12lb and the tips look different this year.
    Last year they did not wake up until June and it took the furry grey rats with the big fluffy tails to break the foliage to encourage them to go to sleep in October.
    The babies are still sleeping.

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

Mine were stored bare at room temp and are now sprouting. This is my first time growing these, so I'm anxious to see what the foliage will look like. Not so anxious for the flowers. LOL

GH

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These ARE so fun. What else is growing this time of year here in zone 5- nothin'!

Yes aroideana, I'm in Illinois, They will form leaves until they are mature enough to bloom. Yours- if it's making the leaf- just hasn't reach puberty yet. lol!

I'm marking it's growth on the wall behind it- Yesterday it grew 6 inches. SIX!
    It is over 30 inches tall now. The bottom of the bloom is getting a bulge to tell where the stalk ends and the flower starts.

Yep, ccdisce, the tips are the tops of the flowers - spathe I think they call it, and that's the only way to tell if they are going to bloom is when that pops up more than usual while "dormant" It doesn't need any dirt or water to flower. Mine is sitting on a pie plate with no window nearby. It does it all from the energy stored in the giant bulb.

Yeah they will deflate or go sideways if your cat makes claw marks in the soft stem! They will also go over if they are in a container and you let it get bone dry in a strong wind... Mine are bigger if not in a container- but in the ground.

GH the flower is odorless until fully open- then it starts oozing and then sticks immediately. Just lop it off and throw it outside. The rest of the plant will "deflate" and then go dormant unless you've planted it.

I usually have babies of this in the fall if anyone is interested in a trade lmk.
    Karen/ cheerpeople

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz