Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

help with xanadu

I have the xanadu (sp) small split leaf philodendrum. It is in a large pot with well draining soil. I have had it for 2 years and it has always been healthy. Just lately its leaves are have turned very yellow even the stems are a little yellowish. I havent fertilized it because it is winter here and didn't think I should. I have other large type split leaf philos in pots as well and they are all green and healthy. I haven't seen any bugs on or under the leaves and I haven't watered any more than normal.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong with this plant?

Do you think I should go ahead and fertilize it? ( it has been in the 60's here with nights upper 40's-mid 50's F)

Any ideas would be appreciated I love this plant.

~SJN

Comments (2)

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

1.) Are the yellowed leaves on the lower most portion of the plant?

2.) Have you taken the plant out of it's pot to check the condition of the roots? If they are brown and mushy and/or smell bad, you've overwatered.

3.) Did you inspect carefully for mites(although, the way you describe the deep yellow color, it doesn't sound like mites)? I check for mites by holding a white piece of paper underneath several leaves while giving the leaves firm taps. If you have mites, they will fall onto the paper and move around.

It is natural for the oldest leaves of philos(lower) to yellow and fall off.

A deep yellow color in some Philos could be either over watering or underwatering. Plants need less water during the cold months of winter, than they do in the late spring and summer. They're not actively growing during the cold months, so they should not be fertilized now. I would definitely NOT fertilize my plant now- wait until you see active growth(Spring).

Hope that helps!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

growhappy,
    Thanks for the good advice. I pulled it out of its pot and the roots were all white and had filled most all of the pot and started to circle around. Only 2 of tiny feeder roots were brown, all the rest were firm and white. The leaves are yellowish throughout the plant not only on the bottom. I didn't see any mites (had a prob with them on my brugs last summer so know what to look for now lol!)
    I went ahead and repotted into a little larger pot with really well draining soil, and watered with a little superthrive added. It actually looks a little better today and has a few new leaves started. I guess I will wait to fertilize but maybe sneak in a little epson salts when it warms up to 60s at night ;D
    I wonder if the problem could be that some of the roots had grown out the bottom of the container (had to cut them off when I lifted the pot) and into the clay soil which has water only a few inches down? Seems not to drain well after the heavy rains we have had lately, and since the flooding we got from hurricane Rita. Thus I have most of my stuff in pots now ;(
    ~SJN

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio