Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tindomul1of9

Skunk cabbage blooms

tindomul1of9
15 years ago

This is the time of the year when this amazing little, or not so little Aroid pops out from under the snow, melting its way out and blooms. The blooms smell of skunk, and attracts flies and beetles and such other creatures that like that. They are rewarded by a nice hot home to rest in for the cold night through the amazing process of thermogenesis where the blooms heat up up to 35 degrees C above ambient temperatures, possible that they are rewarded by some food too, not sure. This plant is nearly impossible to dig out. It has a tap root about 4 feet long (deep), at least that is as far as I have gotten before breaking it. It also has many other roots and underground rhizomes that connect many of the plants you see in a location. Truly amazing. The flower is deceptively small at only around 6 cm tall, the biggest ones were about 15cm (6 inches).

Went to the local swamps and found them. My first time seeing them in bloom.

In the spring I will return to the same spot to get some pictures of the Jack in the Pulpits.

Here is a link that might be useful: skunk cabbage-1

Comments (3)

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Yeah, they grow by the tens of thousands around here......I have dug them for myself to put in the back since the deer will not eat them and also to send to others interested in these weeds. They are a pain to dig out, but you can do it without too much trouble if you want one for the yard Someone posted a pic of a variegated one once.....I'd love that :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of my Symplocarpus foetidus that I dug up and grows in my back yard......from last spring obviously :o) Dan
    {{gwi:382225}}

• tindomul1of9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice picture, I wasn't willing to sacrifice the clothes I was wearing to much to get the bugs eye view pictures. Cudos!!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022