Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracunculus vulgaris, up too early?

Posted by geoforce z7a SE PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 7:56

Just noticed in the garden last evening that some D. vulgaris tubers I planted last summer had already sent up a growth point about 6 inches high. The outer layers on it (cataphylls ?) were already frost killed slime, but the majority of the shoot was still hard and firm. I'm new to these, isn't this awfully early for them to sprout? What are chances it will actually survive?

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracunculus vulgaris, up too early?

Wouldn't worry too much about them, mine have been up, in full foliage, since late January and have survived temps as low as 18F. They didn't bloom this year, but that's not unusual either, as they seldom do. Also, had two species of Arisaema (ringens & undulatifolium) emerge at about the same time. They both bloomed, but were somewhat affected by the sub-freezing temps.
We were there last week for The Flower Show and it was cold all week. Started to warm up on the weekend, as we were leaving! Talked to friends there this evening and they said snow was predicted again tonight. We are expecting freezing temps this weekend and we are 700 miles southwest of Phila.
That darn groundhog lied again!
Rb

o
RE: Dracunculus vulgaris, up too early?

Hi George,
Mine usually break ground in late Feb, to early March. They are about 6" high now. Sometimes the frost may kill a few leaves but it does not seem to hurt them.
I just noticed some of Jack in the Pulpit I received from you in a trade last year are popping up. I'm looking forward to seeing them grow.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here