Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bid2win

Anaphyllum wightii

bid2win
18 years ago

I have heard that Anaphyllum wightii is difficult to grow.

Does anyone know what requirements this plants needs that make it difficult?

Thanks in adavance.

Comments (8)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

It is a drop-dead tropical from the south of India that both dessicates very easily out of soil and rots very easily if too wet.....It loves the high humidity and monsoons of tropical India and it is tough to duplicate here. In India they grow it in a mix of leaf mold, garden soil and river sand (1:1:1). I've killed more than one and I always tell people it is a really tough aroid. I know that Albert on this forum has it indicated he grows it on his web site, so I hope he chimes in and maybe I'll have more luck in the future. I know a lot of very good aroid growers that have killed them, unfortunately. Best of luck :o) Dan

• kellyschofield
    18 years ago

I enjoyed killing mine last year!!!!

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Yeah Kelly, Unfortunately, I'm ahead of you on that count....I think I'm going to stop bringing these into the country as they are just too tough....atleast for someone with my limited abilities...oh well, they are beautiful until I turn them into mulch :o) Dan

• bid2win
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What tends to kill them the most? Is it keeping them too wet or too cold? I'm not against turning to some high-tech way to duplicate the natural conditions that this plant has adapted to in nature.

Can you suggest a similar plant that is difficult to grow for the same reason or reasons, but is not as difficult as this one?

Thanks for the information so far.

• bid2win
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Does anyone know how big they get?

• eric_9b
    18 years ago

We have one growing in the ground here at Leu Gardens in Orlando,FL. We bought it about 6 years ago at the spring plant sale at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. It has never done much; it goes dormant in winter, emerges in late spring and gets about a foot tall. It flowered that first summer but has never flowered since.
    Eric
    Orlando,FL z9b/10a

• bid2win
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am going to have to check it out when I am near Orlando, FL again. Does it receive fertilizer/plant food on a regular basis?

• amorphomike
    17 years ago

I bought one at Fairchild about 4 years ago and have finally got a new clutch of seedlings around 20 so far. They took a while to germinate.. I use pro-mixBX nutricote 13-13-13 under an oak tree with a lot of water. I try to use pollen from one spathe to fertilize another. Fairchid hasn't offered any this year I think their aroids took a hit from the hurricanes.. The pups are now about an inch tall.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES