Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane5_gw

Mail order

Jane5
17 years ago

I really want to add some new Elephant Ears to my garden this year. I have a few, but in the area I live in I donÂt have much of a choice. I will have to do mail order, which is fine, but I donÂt know who to use. Does anyone know of a good place to get some different ones from.

Thanks for the help.

Jane

Comments (11)

• philofan
    17 years ago

I like to order mine from Brian's Botanicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web site

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I would suggest Enid at Natural Selections Exotics. She is incredibly knowledegeable and sends great plants. The only time I can get Brian to e-mail me back is when he wanted to buy something from me and then I would only trade and again he was horrible at communication...that makes him the person I would not buy from....communication is everything as far as I am concerned :o) Dan

• colabama
    17 years ago

i don't know WHY brian won't respond to email, but he sure won't.VERY frustrating

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

It is the main reason I would never consider buying from him. If he can not answer my questions then he can not have my money!! There are just too many good sites out there nowadays to waste time with somone like that in my opinion. Hope the purchases went well wherever the guy decided to buy from :o) Dan

• aroidgrower
    17 years ago

I believe if you have a personal issue agains Brian or Br ians botanicals that you should take it up with him personally. I know personally that he has answered thousands of emails from questions to infromation. If this is a personal matter why not make it personal between him? I feel that attacking him on a forum like this is uncalled for and very childish. I believe most people are satisfied with his service. Sense he tries very hard to keep everyone happy. It does seem that a few people for what ever reason seem to attack him when ever possible. I find this very disturbing.

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Aroidgrower, Honestly, I am not attacking, I am simply pointing out my experience. I personally think that personal experiences from other growers is invaluable and therefore I have no idea why you would have a problem with an honest assessment. If I am being childish by simply reporting my own experience with him then so be it. I know he has a wonderful reputation in the aroid community and I enjoy his posts to aroid-l, but it has been my experience that he is not good about responding to e-mails; simple as that. Some of us appreciate knowing this sort of information before we purchase from any source. Of course, we also appreciate hearing the praise where appropriate. I assume from your post that you have bought many times from him with great success and that is of course good to hear. I also know that 2 people indicating problems in this forum surely means there are large numbers that are happy....that is the way it is in business as I personally know. Needless to say a signature is always appropriate on these forums as well....I like to know who I am talking to via posts on forums which is why I always sign off.

I did not mean to offend, I did not mean to attack, but I am certain that I was not childish in offering an honest assessment to someone that asked for it on this forum. If we can not offer opinions of both plants and retailers/wholesalers then why bother?? I am sure that many people are happy to learn of places like TyTy because of posts on these forums. I am not saying that Brians Botanicals is in any way, shape or form comparable to TyTy by the way before you completely blow that out of proportion.

All the best :o) Dan

• Jane5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

IÂm sorry I started this now. I sure didnÂt mean to get anyone upset.

I understand the frustration of not having an e-mail answered. I myself e-mailed a place asking a question and never got an answer back. So now I am hesitant to place an order with them. But I also understand how busy and understaffed some places are.

Please accept my apologies for opening this can of worms.

Jane

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi Jane, Trust me, life is way too short to get upset over something as silly as this...atleast for me!! I understand the e-mail thing as I had a web site that I just recently shut down because I simply decided I had better things to do with my time at this point in my life!

I am sure you will get lovely plants from Brian and perhaps I should not answer things so truthfully in the future as it seems I stepped on someones toes knowing full-well the aliases of some of the people posting here that prefer not to use their names ;o) Dan

• philofan
    17 years ago

I have had pretty good communication with Brian. I have to say his plants are some of the best grown I have purchased, and at very reasonable cost (he's often generous with sizes of cuttings for the cost). And I think he's been adding some staff to help with the workload this year. So I would definitely purchase from him again. That's my .02.

• honeybunny442
    17 years ago

I've ordered from Brian in the past and gotten nice plants. If you have seen the work he has done in their nursery, you know he doesn't have much time for answering emails. Not that he's being rude! In fact, I had one lady who wanted some calla bulbs and I would say she took up 3 hours of time over a week- and probably 20 emails. Now multiply that times 100 people who want plants and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

• Jane5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldnÂt mind ordering from Brian as he does have a couple that I really want. The problem is that I canÂt do PayPal and that is all he takes. I finally got an answer back from a place I e-mailed and I will be giving them a try. They donÂt have a couple that Brian does that I want, but they do have a few others that I do. Thanks everyone for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Jane

Sponsored