Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Should I Plant My Arisaema Seedling?

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Okay, A. Triphyllum is now about 3" tall and looking kind of spindly. I am wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and remove it from it's container soon and plant it in the ground? What do you think?

Susan

Comments (8)

• keiko2
    18 years ago

They really hate spring flooding like we had here last weekend, especially when it turns cold after the flooding.

After a major disaster with big losses, when it just would't stop raining for weeks two years ago, I only grow Arisaemas in raised bed or pots. This may not be an issue if you have fast draining sandy soil.

Keiko

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Well, I agree with Keiko for any Arisaema except triphyllum....they will happily grow submerged in a stream....they do it in the woods behind my house. We have nothing but pure clay here and they adore it.....wet and nasty all summer long.....not an issue.....do not do this with any other Arisaema except perhaps Ar. dracontium, which is also a native and can grow in wet clay. Having said that.....I would leave it in the pot now until it goes dormant and then put it in the ground next fall and forget about it. I'm sure you can likely find these by the thousands around your house in some woods in another 6 weeks.....they are everywhere here....typical weed to be honest.....just mark where the plant is that is flowering and collect seed in the fall after they set nice red berries. Best of luck :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, this is the one I grew from seed, and it's still in the container it grew in. Just leave it in the container? I can do that, too.

Should I also do that with the sikokianum?

I planted some triphyllum tubers in a bed that I have in the backyard that is slightly raised. Actually, it used to be a kid's sandbox. Some sand still in it, makes for a very, very fast draining bed. I think I will move some more of the plants out of there and make it my arisaema bed. I also have a raised bed in the backyard, that I really haven't done anything with. Do you think some arisaema will overwinter in that? I will amend the soil, adding the pine bark mulch to the soil mix for good drainage. Sound good?

Susan

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Thanks for that info, Dan. A. triphyllum has never done as well for me as others that are supposed to be difficult. I always thought it was the Dallas heat, but maybe I'm trying to grow them too dry. I might as well set some out in this heavy wet soil and see what happens.

Keiko

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay you guys - something weird is happening to my baby triphyllum. It looks like a bud is occuring on the tip of the existing leaf. Is that possible? It's kind of pink colored, with a definitek cone shape to it. Wasn't there before.

Susan

• btropical256
    18 years ago

It is great seeing them in the woods around here. The thing is mine rotted somehow this winter as i checked the bulb and its mush and they are native here. oh well i guess to much moisture did it.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Don't plant it susan, I must confiscate it immeadiatly.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

I wish i had this one.
    {{gwi:382358}}

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?