Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Sauromatum venosum questions

Posted by ademink z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 10:13

Hi everyone!

I have truly wanted an Amorphophallus Titanium for the last 3 years but instead, I just picked up a Sauromatum venosum (although they called it Arum cornutum) at Meijer today for 2.99. :)

It has already started sprouting...approx. 1/4th of an inch yesterday and over an inch today!!!! I thought I was crazy but I really think it grew that much over night...very bizarre!

Ok, anyway...I'm in zone 5b/6a and this bad boy is in his little baggie still. I don't know what to do w/ it. Do I have to plant it in a pot inside or can I plant it outside or ....???

Clueless here and would love some basic schooling. Thanks a million for your time! I'm soooo excited to have this stinky baby. LOL

Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Sauromatum venosum questions

I would recomend taking it out of the bag and propping it up on a small saucer or similar. Use dry moss or similar underneath to keep it stable as it grows tall but keep it dry. If no roots start growing from the top of the tuber, it is a flowerbud. Just let it do what it has to do.

If roots appear, then it is probably just going to make a leaf and will need planting in a pot. Do not water much until you can definately see leaflets developing. Once it is growing strongly it will require regular water and plenty of fertilizer.

If it does flower, the tuber usually goes into a period of rest before the leaf starts to grow. This period is variable from a week or to up to several months. It grows when it is ready.

o

Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me, moriati! What type of fertilizer to you recommend when it's time? I believe that I've read that this variety is hardy in my area and, actually, I seem to have a microclimate in my backyard and can regularly keep Z6 plants alive. Am I to assume that it's acceptable to plant it in the ground rather than a pot at the appropriate time?

Thank you!
andrea :)

o

Any fast acting general purpose fertilizer will do the job. I cannot give you specific brands as these will be completely different from those availabe here.

As you only have the one tuber, I would err on the side of caution and keep it in a pot. This way it is easier to move if a sudden frost arrives early. Generally, when the leaves turn yellow and die off, I tip mine out of the pots, dry them and store them indoors somewhere cool but frost free. If you tip the pot out into a bowl and sift thrrough the compost, you will find a number of smaller tubers as a bonus. Use these to try to naturalise the plant in the ground. If they die, you still have the big one.

o

• Posted by nanumi 5-6 Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 20:40

Hi, our 3 sauromatus started flowering yesterday but today 2 of those flowers started dropping. Does it flower for just 24 hours?
thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here