Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have rot need roots- salvage advise -pics

Posted by cheerpeople 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 10:44

I had a number of alocasia odora sprout from a cut trunk like this last summer, thx to the kind advise I got here. This piece did not sprout any and had some rot when I put it in the basement last fall. I figured when it dried externally in dormant storage the rot would halt and I would plant it out in optimum growing conditions (outside) next summer.

The rot continued however so recently I cut it out, gave it a bleach/water soak, dried it for days then gave it 2 coats of neem oil- garden safe product. then dried it a few more days before planting in potting mix. It turns out have 3 eyes sprouting.
It also turns out the rot continues to eat the inside of this trunk.

Should I recut and bleach water soak again- then pot up in something else?
My options are pine mulch, vermiculate, perlite, or crushed limestone gravel.

I'd like to save them if possible.

thx!

karen

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 pics- pointing to 2 eyes and third near my webspace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have rot need roots- salvage advise -pics

Are you certain its rot and not some insects boring into the tuber? Take a knife and gently scrape and make certain there are not insects inside the flesh. I often have them in the dormant Alocasia rhizomes that get left in the ground overwinter. Many times the bugs will eat the whole rhizome, but plants will return from satellite tubers that it put out underground.

I would soak it not in bleach but in a slurry made of Captan powder (fungicide) and Orthene.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here