Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tindomul1of9

Arisaema seedling

tindomul1of9
16 years ago

I planted many seeds of an Arisaema species native to Long Island, most likely A. triphyllum. Only 1 seed germinated so far, 7 months after I planted them, slightly covering them with soil and keeping the soil moist. The soil is a combination of sphag, bark, and all sorts of other large items which makes it fast draining.

The one leaf it has now has been all it has produced in about a months worth of growth. Its hasn't done anything else.

Does anyone know about growing these from seed? What happens next? Is it going to die on me if no more leaves come? SHould I change something? I have it under artificial lights at a temp of around 80.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/Czar024/Arisaemasp-01.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (10)

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

I grow many Arisaema spp. from seed. I sow them in a well draining mix in pots. I place then place outside around April/May and allow nature to take place. I usually have good success. The ones that do not grow were probably not viable to begin with.
    I fertilize with liquid plant fertilizer and in fall, allow them to go dormant. The first year, Arisaemas have one "leaf". I bring my pots indoor and keep in a cool - above freezing area until again April/May take them outdoors. Let them grow another season, take indoors. In January, sort the pots, separate to larger pots or if large 1 - 2", plant outside in well drained area of garden.

For more information google Arisaema Enthusiast Group and check out Arisaema-l, an open "blogging" site. Good source of information.

HTH ~ Gerry

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

Yep, I would say your problem is that you started the seed before giving them a cold dormancy. Heck, I am so lazy that I just harvest the seed head, throw it in the garage where it stays cold for the winter and then pull the berries off in the spring and toss them in the dirt out back in the woods behind my house....they grow like crazy. You just made your life to hard by pampering them. Since you did not give them a cold spell you likely killed the rest of the seed. The need atleast 2 months of cold in general before germination.

As indicated, they grow a single juvenile leaf the first time and as they mature they grow a mature leaf...this time frame depends upon species. Your triphyllum will have a mature 3-lobed leaf the second year. A ringens will produce a mature leaf the second year...I find that species that have the clasic umbrella leaf require more years to develop this feature.

When you harvest your berries this fall from the woods just put them in dirt in the cold and leave them alone and in the spring you will have seedlings :o) Dan

• MacDaddy
    16 years ago

The seeds needed cold stratification. My experience is that arisema send up one leaf then put all the energy collected into growing a bulb. Next year bigger leaf and more leaves grow from bulb. Once the leaves come up in spring however all the energy goes into the bulb and none into new leaves.

• tindomul1of9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow thanks everyone for the quick replies. This takes the mystery out of what I am doing.
    The thing is I am trying to grow these indoors. So come fall would it be possible to place the pot, corm and all into a fridge for a the winter months? Thanks again!

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Don't toss your ungerminated seed yet. I would cover them with a screen and place outdoors and leave them there. I have had some fresh, cleaned Arisaema seed to require 2-3 years to germinate.
    Rb

• tindomul1of9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Really wow! I took a look at them and they still look good. Good shape, and color. I couldn't believe they were dead. Your message gives me hope.

• eln2002meyer
    16 years ago

I harvest my seeds in the fall, clean off all of the berry and place the seeds in moistened (not wet) potting mix, in the fridge. After three months, I plant the seeds in a plastic shoe box and put them under flourescent lights. with cool 40 watt bulbs. I get 95% germination. After the one leaf starts to die back, it is time to plant them out in the garden. The following year, I get the three leaved plants. This way, I know where I am planting them. If you email me I can send you a photo of the germinated seeds and the bulbs...

ellen

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

tindomul1of9,

You also might find it helpful to wash the seeds repeatedly once or twice a day over a week or two; even a drop of dish soap sometimes helps - this species is often found in rainy climates, and does indeed need stratification (this can be achieved outdoors by mother nature, or in the fridge).

Also, you might have your temperature a bit high at 80F; A. triphyllum is generally not accustomed to such high temperatures in Spring (Long Island should be no exception), when it would usually germinate. Try closer to 60F, and see how they do. You should expect germination to be erratic in any case.

Try that technique the next time you sow your seeds of A. triphyllum!

Good luck with your Arisaemas,

-Plantenthusiast_2008

• ralfsmom
    15 years ago

i have a few seed of an arisaema that is supposed to be a chinese,but reading the description it sounds like a tiawan one. is anyone interested in trading for these? dj

Sponsored