Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

Brent & Becky's has some nice things

kwoods
18 years ago

.... of the Alocasia, Calocasia variety. Just got the catalog. Reasonable prices depending on how the tuber size is (they say top grade... not sure what their idea of top grade is). They have som eXanthosoma too and.... they list Arisaema sikkokianum at (drum roll please)....... $35!!! LOL

The rest of the stuff is reasonable at around 8 bucks a pop. They had A. bulbifer and "riveri"(konjac) too.

I think I'll get A. lutea

Comments (15)

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

I have never seen this catalog. Could please either post the web addy or email it to me? Thanks!

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Web addy is just Brent & Becky's Bulbs. Interesting website. I've have ordered from them a number of times and have been very happy, and have another order coming soon. They did something last year that's never happened to me before. We've all I'm sure ordered things that didn't come the way we expected, and have had varying degrees of success at getting them made right. I've never before had a nursery notify me that something they sent me MIGHT not be right, and if it wasn't to let them know and they'd send the right thing. How 'bout that?

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

C. Black Ruffles was sold out (waaahhh!). But I got greedy and picked up some other things I didn't have (and some I did have but probably killed by "zone testing" them). Here's a link to the summer catalog Brent & Becky's. They have most of the common stuff... but it's pretty cheap and they have never disappointed me quality-wise.

Is anyone growing Alocasia mark campbell? Can you tell me anything about it? Would probably be an outdoor container plant for me.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Kwoods - I tried to pm you but it was rejected - wah! Do you know the size of B&B's plants? Or, do they just send tubers? Just wondering.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Some of the things I ordered they said were tc plants that they will grow on to a larger size before shipping (next month.) Not everything, but most the alos and colos I think.

• kwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dunno what happened there Susan.

They have always sent nice size roots/tubers in the past but this will be the first time I have ordered Alocasia, Calocasia from them.

Erythronium they sent was huge and healthy.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Just got most my order from B&B today (Thursday). It was promised for April. The notification from UPS said it would be here Friday. Two plants were back ordered and will be here 'asap'--which at this point I'm guessing will still be before April! A fellow aroid nut was here when they came and just raved. Couldn't keep her eyes off that 'Lime Zinger'. They look so fresh and ready to go (just as we're about to get possibly record-setting cold!) I'm really pleased--sure, they're not as big as the ones I got earlier from Enid, but they're clearly going to take off as soon as the weather behaves. (That's not a negative about Enid--her plants were gorgeous and much harder to find.)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

So glad to hear you're happy with your order, GE! It's so funny to see we're posting in two different places! I had e-mailed B&B to see what the size of their plants are, and they responded that they come in 4" pots, which is the same size that Tony Avent's plants arrive in.

Fortunately, I'm supposed to get a Lime Zinger from a friend this spring, along with some other colocasias and alocasias I've been lusting after.

I requested that my B&B plants be sent April 15th. Did you order yours for delivery this early? I know you're in a warmer zone that I am. Hey, don't complain about the weather. We got 3" of snow last night and this morning, and the temp is 30* outside right now. I hope this is the last of our really cold weather.

Susan

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

After years in places like northeast Nebraska and high in the Cascades of Oregon I always feel silly commenting on how cold it is here--more than I did there I'm pretty sure!--but I grew hardy plants there! Don't care too much about being cold myself, I can always add another layer, but I've got the most beautiful bunch of pink Brugmansia in full bloom, and I stupidly put out a few aroids (some stay out and will be fine) and I don't like the idea of middle thirties for them! (I think it was your invitation that got me to that other place! No ads!)

• beachplant
    18 years ago

I put in an order this week. Will let you know how it is.
    Greenelbows1, welcome to the South! You know you're a southerner when you wear a fur coat in 70 degree weather. Supposed to be low 40's here, that is the same as 6 to someone in NE Nebraska. My brugs have been in bloom on & off for a couple of months now but the double white, candida and the peach are really putting on a show! They must know I want to put in cuttings.
    Tally HO!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Well, I think you all SHOULD feel silly! Here I am shivering in 23 and 29 degree nights, and you guys are talking about 40's? Why, why, why? And, to top THAT off, you have brugs blooming? Life just ain't fair!

Of course, I have hyacinths and daffodils blooming their heads off, and I bet you can't grow those, huh? Not cold enough, huh? Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!

LOL! Anyone willing to part with brug cuttings? I am trying to grow the red one from seed. Haven't started it yet - too cold. But, will give it a try soon. I know it's more tropical than the others. Some people grow them in the ground here, mulch well, and they come back each year fine. So, apparently they are root hardy in this zone. Now, I am assuming that means they probably don't get as large as the ones you guys grow, but still are probably very pretty. I grow daturas - much hardier here. I love the night flying moths that pollinate them. Without the moths, the blooms would NOT get pollinated because they are the only ones with a long enough probiscus to do so. Same goes for brugs.

GE - we are glad to have you on that other place! I do keep coming back here because a lot of people here don't seem willing to change. Ah, the winds of change, going with the flow. We all fight it to some degree. Not much fight left in me these days, especially when it comes to ads and such. And Dan is a great guy. Even participates!

Susan

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Susan, I'm notoriously slow but send me your addy & when I cut the brugs I'll send you some. They are blooming fools right now. Mine suffered in the snow last year ( we only get snow on very rare occassions anyway), I covered them & it snowed so much, first time ever on Christmas, that the weight broke them! They've recovered just fine though, the double white is up to about 8' & Frosty Pink is taller.
    Yeah, no daffodils, no tulips-well, I did put in some that were already blooming but they've been history for over a month now, no crocus, no lilacs! No red brugs either-too hot & humid. NO bearded iris, no hosta.....ah, the list goes on & on.
    On the OTHER hand..freesia, alstromeria, canna, rudbeckia, confederate rose, black-eyed susan vine, cross vine, passion flowers, crocosmia, LA iris, turks cap, kalanchoes, aloes, crinums, Phillipine violet, salvia, society garlic, roses, potatoe bush, begonias, cuphea, love-in-a-puff vine, the brugs, squill, blue squill, clerodendrums and much more are in bloom.
    And then it will be too hot and humid in another week and the skeeters are already hatching & flocking...
    So while you lollygag around & read catalogs & plan your spring garden we're having our annual blood letting, sunburning, sweating, weeding, mowing, tree-trimming rush to get stuff done before our "spring" is over!!
    Tally HO!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

BP: Will send you via PM. Well, we can grow the hardy alstromerias, cannas do great here, rudbeckia, some passi's, crocosmia overwinters fine, as does LA iris, turks cap, crinums, salvias, roses, hardy begonias, and squill. The others are too tropical to winter outside, but some grow them indoors.

I am not a great canna fan, though. Too outlandish for me.

Susan

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Got my order yesterday. Well, most of it. Only 1 A. bulbifer. No explanation. I'm going to call them now. It was a nice HUGE bulb though. Tally HO!

• kwoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My stuff came. Didn't have time to open it so I have some early/late christmas presents waiting for me when I get home. Wonder what it was I ordered. Probably something I needed really badly at the time.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors