Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voodoo Lily Blooming

Posted by becky_ia z4 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 13:32

HAPPY SPRING! Can you believe it has finally arrived?!!

Just thought you might enjoy a couple of pictures taken over the weekend of the blooming or (soon-to-bloom) Voodoo Lilies from a friend's basement. They called last Friday and said a couple of bulbs were about to bloom and would I be interested in seeing them before they had to take them outside.

So yesterday I got a first hand look at these extremely interesting, beautiful, blooms. And I can tell you....it is definitely something one NEVER forgets! Instantly when I walked in the side door of their house and down the stairs to their basement, you could tell they were blooming! The smell is horrible-it stinks-but not too overpowering. And there were four bulbs with only one starting to bloom. I can't image what it will be like with all four blooming.

He said they will be taking them out to the garage today, but wanted his daughter (who is coming from Wisconsin) to see them first. I was glad they called me too! It was amazing ... the blooms are HUGE and BEAUTIFUL.

We talked awhile about how he grows them; it is an awesome plant. He keeps meticulous records of each bulb; date he planted and dug back up, their weight when dug up, how much the flower stalk grows each day, the date it starts to bloom.... Extremely interesting.

Am posting two pictures to enjoy.

Becky

Voodoo Lily Bloom

Voodoo Lilies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voodoo Lily Blooming

nice

o

There monsters. Could you ask if these are amorph. konjac? They're on my wish list and I'm wondering how many years it takes to get that size.
Thanks, Evan

o

Those for sure are Amorphophallus Konjac. Flowering occurs in tubers as small as a grapefruit. An offset can reach the size of those pictured in 3 or 4 seasons if watered and fertilized well. They are a very easy and rewarding plant. Even with 40 other species in my greenhouse, konjacs blooming is still something albeit stinky.

o

Those are nice...
+ They look cool sitting in the boxes...

Mine just bloomed for the 1st time this year
The flower only got up to 34in. tall but hey it's still a flower / LOL

Pics~ http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg0313323410384.html?3

Started with like a nickel sized corm about 3 years ago
After digging it up last season it weighed 4lbs with off shoot attached / 3.5lbs with out
& It's bloomed for me this year which was a suprize
Wasn't expecting it to bloom for an other year or two

Have To Say That The 'Smell" On This One Doesn't Disappoint

DC

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant Pics

o

Let's see. Tubers as SMALL as a grapefruit can flower! These will easily be the largest tubers I have. At least in a few years. I wonder what those pictured weigh? Given that I'll be growing in z5a, plant last week of May and lift mid-October, how long to flowering size from off-sets do you think?

radarcontactlost, with a greenhouse in z8 do you mostly grow tropical species?

dethcheez, Do you have any pics?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here