Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Dracontium polyphyllum blooming

bluebonsai101
14 years ago

I've had this Dracontium polyphyllum for 5 years now and it has finally produced an influorescence so I wanted to share.....this is probably one of the lesser cultivated tuberous aroid genera, but it is my favorite by a mile so am happy to see a bloom finally :o) Dan

{{gwi:382553}}

Comments (7)

• aroideana
    14 years ago

Nice Dan , when it gets a bit bigger [ the tuber ] it may get ears one day on the infloresence .

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Michael, I look forward to seeing those "ears" some day.....very odd looking.....can't imagine what they are for? Maybe dispersal of the chemicals that attract pollinators....sort of creates a flow-through for the breeze like opening windows on the opposite sides of a house? Hope your other guy blooms soon :o) Dan

• patusho25
    14 years ago

nice looking "flower", Dan. love that deep purple color. five years from bulbil or tuber? that´s a long wait.

how sinky was it?. first time mine blossomed did it at the living room, lol, not a good idea. =P

ears? are those on the rim of the "flower" or are "opening windows" (holes in the back of) on the "flower"?.

mine is just about to do its thing also (seems identical to dan´s one but then there are some very similar looking ones out there). may not be at home to watch it, though. =(

cheerios.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was from a tuber about 2cm in diameter that I got from one of the posters here from a land far, far away. Please remember that I am in zone 6 without a greenhouse so my conditions are very poor for growing these......I am lucky to be able to say I got it to flower here at all :o)

My Dracontium has no smell at all.....I've only ever had 2 bloom (prancei also bloomed once) and no smell either time so maybe I just have a nice clone that is more pleasant!!

I look forward to seeing pics of yours :o) Dan

• patusho25
    14 years ago

that´s right, forgot about your climate. ;) glad it still did it. yes, guess it came from very far, far, far, far north queensland. =P I´ve tried mr aroideana selling me some of his dracontiums but he just refuses. bummer. =(

dan, got a 3cm diam. dracontium to trade (god knows what it is) if you got either soconuscum, croatii, prancei, pittieri tubercle/bulbil send me an e-mail or let me know if interested. perhaps they aren´t thriving at your home and I can indeed provide them with the right conditions for them to thrive. ;D Will be in California next week.

nice, lol, a sanitized dracontium. =P

pix. March 09
    {{gwi:382554}}

cheerios.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I understand, because it is very tough to get the paperwork in order to ship correctly!!

Mine never really make offsets....again, growing conditions!! You do see tubercles offered on ebay now and again from a guy in Germany......I find that these are very tough to get started, although I just did get 2 of my D. amazoense to start growing from tubercles so there is always hope :o) Dan

• houstonpat
    14 years ago

Good work on the Dracontium Dan.

Sponsored