Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Thailand Giant

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 15:05

Every year I like to try something "different," so this year I might try Colocasia gigantea Thailand Giant Strain. Because I'm zone 5, my season won't be as long, so I'd like to start with a decent-sized plant if possible.

I see Plant Delights has them, and could order there. But does anyone have a favorite vendor I might be happier with? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Thailand Giant

Brians Botanicals also sells them.
Evan

o

Thanks, eclayne. I actually stumbled across that site after posting my request, but good to hear about it here, and makes me feel more confident ordering. They had something else I was looking for too!

o

Hi Ruth,

I just got mine from Wellspring Gardens on ebay plus three others for $4.99 each plus shipping. They are small plants but Colocasias grow super fast with heat and lots of water and food. PDN is expensive and their shipping charges are ridiculous. I do buy from them but only plants I can't get elsewhere.

Scott

o

Thanks Johnsp - I ended up ordering from both Wellspring and Brian's Botanicals!

o

You are very welcome Ruth. Never ordered from Brian but I think you will be pleased with the plants from Wellspring.

Scott

o

I'm in zone 5 too (WI) and am also trying thailand giant this year! Hoping it grows fast and big for me. I bought one privately from a guy in CA who I saw on bananas.com and he gave me quite a large plant to start off with....it's potted and doing well in a sunny doorway in my basement right now. Eager to see how we do!

o

Good luck with your new acquisition from CA. Just remember with this Colocasia not to let it sit in water like the esculenta cultivars but do keep it moist. It does not like wet feet. It does appreciate some shade during high noon if you live in an area with really hot summers, however in zone 5 you should be ok with it in full sun all day.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here