Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Plant calla lillies indoors!!

Posted by nikki1846 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 15:50

Hello,

I just bought one calla lilly bulb and would like to grow it indoors. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips as to how to grow this indoors successfully. I have never done it before and am just very interested in trying it out but have no idea where to start!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Plant calla lillies indoors!!

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you but the genus Calla is composed of plants that grow in a forest swamp. According to the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London they commonly thrive between the edge of the forest and a raised bog. Basically they are bog/swamp plants rather than a house plant.

They can be grown in damp sphagnum moss since they also commonly live as a creeper in streams and ponds. They must stay damp and love bright light which may make growing them indoors in dim light difficult.

The plants are members of the family Araceae so try looking up the International Aroid Society and do some research on that site. There is a search engine in the lower left hand corner of the home page. The index will also search the IAS forum known as Aroid l where you may be able to find growing information.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Aroid Society

o

What kind of calla do you have? If you bought a hybrid (they come in many different colours) they do not appear to need anywhere near as much water as the white species. If you have a white (I forget the actual species name other than the family (?) name Zantedeschia lol) you will have to keep the saucer under the pot filled with water.

I'm sure that there a tons of people on here who know a LOT more than me. (Or who can correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe they can give you more info??

Good luck!

Ryan

o

If you Calla is Zantedeschia aethiopica (White Calla lily) then it can grow well in shade, provided lots of moisture.

However if you Calla is Zantedeschia elliottiana (Yellow Calla lily) or Zantedeschia rehmannii (Pink Calla lily) then you will have to give them plenty of light.

Any hybrids (which are mostly from Z. elliottiana and Z. rehmannii) will require bright light, as they are usually grown in open sun.

Cheers~

Izhar

Here is a link that might be useful: Zantedeschia aethiopica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here