Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aroids for zone 7 garden

Posted by geoforce z7a SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:29

I'm not particularly interested in aroids for pot culture, but I love the unique leaves in my garden.

I'm always looking for more I can plant in the dirt and forget. Currently I have Amorphophallus konjac, Sauromatum venustum, Dracunculus vulgarus, and several of the Sinarisaema (Whorl leaf type) arisaemas, as well as the more common arisaemas, which have been doing nicely for years .

Are there other species or varieties which might survive in my zone 7 (some winters closer to 6) garden ?

I've tried alocasia and colocasia but very limited success with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aroids for zone 7 garden

I am a transplant from ct via fl to nc, zone 7. I have never grown callas before because you had to dig them up and store them for the winter.....no way jose! now that I am in nc, zone 7, I planted my first callas two years ago. when they came up the second year or should I say first year after planting, they blew me away! they were humungus, huge, big,large, tall and oh so beautiful. I picked a few and placed them on my counter in the kitchen to enjoy. they lasted so long in the vase that I had to finally throw them in my compost. what a wonderful lily. I planted lots more last year and am patiently waiting for them to show their stuff!! happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here