Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclayne

Z. aethiopica vs. Z. aethiopica 'White Giant'

eclayne
13 years ago

Can anyone shed some light on why Z. aethiopica 'White Giant' as offered by Plant Delights has spotted leaves, as opposed to the species which is not spotted (at least the ones I have). In the image posted by PDN it actually looks more like my Z. albomaculata, just larger and more robust.

Comments (15)

• jardinerowa
    13 years ago

I have a related question. Is White Giant an actual cultivar that is taller than regular aethiopicas? Or do they just mean that the bulb is large? Thanks.

Z

• eclayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jardinerowa. This thread answers my question and to an extent yours.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg1220463319948.html

See response by keiko2.

I just purchased some 'White Giant' online and was informed by the grower that these need to be grown thru the winter (potted up here in Z5) as they take several years to grow rhizomes large enough to lift and overwinter. I saw another thread on 'White Giant' which talks about a huge corms but I believe she's growing Z. aethiopica the Giant White Calla Lily.

Evan

• jardinerowa
    13 years ago

Evan,

Thanks for the link to that thread. I tend to think that if I just buy regular normal size z. aethiopica, I will get "GIANT" Callas, and rhizomes that get bigger and give even bigger plants.
    I want to grow them because here they never go dormant. When I lived in WA state they bloomed beautifully once a year but I'm greedy and want blooms throughout the year.

Z

• eclayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Z,
    Yes GREEDY! And I'm jealous.
    I bought mine 3 years ago and the rhizomes do grow a bit each year here in Z5. My plants never reach the size some of these folks are talking about but the rhizomes have about doubled in size. This year I've recently potted two up to see if I can get a jump on things. Always sounded like too much work. I usually can't plant until last week of May.

Separate topic: I bought a vegetable at the local produce shop called Chicote or something like that. It's green, shaped something like quince or a fat, hard pleated pear. I baked it, as recommended, and it tasted a bit like zucchini except no bitter taste. Very nice. Do you know the botanical name?

E

• cheerpeople
    13 years ago

My giant white has spotted leaves and grows much larger leaves than aethiopica.
    I have yet to see the flower since it did it when I was out of state.
    I am also in zone 5 and I have to say as a potted plant it had trouble and started to rot. I couldn't get the rot under control even with a fungicide powder and had to unpot it and wait for summer garden weather. It did ok over the summer.
    I will not pot it up again as a houseplant for fear of losing it.

I have found that calla potted up early here can't take the wind and flatten to the ground. They don't bounce up for the season. It's best for me to just start them outside.

Regarding aethopica, I quit growing it as the japanese beetles devoured it, leaves and flowers. It must be quite tasty. It sure made an eyesore for all the work it was in zone 5.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:382682}}

• eclayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi cheerpeople,
    Your rhizome got big enough to overwinter? How many years did that take? Great pic! That's the kind of foliage I'm hoping for.

• cheerpeople
    13 years ago

I've had it for 3-4 years maybe more. thimble sized when I bought it in a coop here on GW with woodthrush.
    This will be the first time to try it as a dormant in the basement. About half of the bulb rotted away last year winter as I mentioned.
    I guess I should be clear that is not outside for the winter. I've tried other calla that way and they have all died.

I'll know in the late spring if has died or not... not everything that's cool in the tropical places works out in zone 5

Jack in the pulpit is an aroid and it overwinters just fine- outside!
    Karen

• eclayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What your saying is encouraging despite the rot. I'll have to watch for that. How big did the rhizome get? How much was left after cutting away the rot?
    I'm about 7 weeks away from planting my corms and rhizomes. How long do you have to wait? Hopefully you rhz. has enough energy stored to make it. Good luck!

We have loads of Japanese beetles here as well. I laid down some milky spore and that seems to have greatly reduced the numbers. I still have to spray the callas though.

I've read of folks over-wintering aethiopica outside in Z6. Never tried it myself. I know albomaculata don't make it as I've missed lifting corms in the fall and found them rotted the following spring.

• jardinerowa
    13 years ago

Evan,

I believe you're talking about Chayote (Sechium edule). It grows on a vine much like cucumber or melons do. It is very common here in Mexico. I like it OK, but I definitely prefer zucchini. However, I do enjoy Chayote cooked in chicken soup along with other veggies. Cooked right it gives a great subtle flavor with great texture.

Z

• eclayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Z,
    Chayote it is. Thanks much.
    E

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Try the chayote raw, its great sliced up on salads.

• eclayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An update on Z. aethiopica White Giant. I repotted to smaller (3 gal.) pots and brought the plants inside. A few weeks later I noticed the larger one starting to bloom, on 11/8 or 9. It's going strong and sending up another bloom stalk.

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

I love white giant! I've had my plant now for about 5 years, originally I received it from PDN. It was the only thing I got from them that grew.
    Anyway to carry it over winter, it likes to be rootbound. Cram it in a small pot. I've divided it and divided it and sold it at the greenhouse now for 3 years. I have like 15 pots right now. It will bloom all winter here if you keep it actively growing, rootbound, warm and in good light. Some of my customers put it by a big patio door in the kitchen.
    Use half strength fertilizer water to water it with all winter. it likes high fertility.

• eclayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sandy for the fertilizer advice. Wow, I hadn't checked this thread for way too long. When is the right time to remove the offsets and what are the concerns?

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

Obviously I hadn't checked this in a long time too. You can split it any time it's actively growing so I prefer early spring and early fall in the greenhouse. You can split it mid summer if you cut off half the leaves and keep it well watered in the shade. Make sure and under pot it and then later pot it up to a bigger pot instead of putting it into a really large pot to start with.

Sponsored