Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubbleshop

Griffiths Cobra Lilly

rubbleshop
18 years ago

Hi,

I bought a few Griffiths Cobra lilly tubers a month of so ago. Most are growing at a sensible rate, but one is growing a shoot 1 1/2 inches thick at the rate of over 1 inch per day.

Do these grow leaves first or flowers first after dormancy, because if it is flowers I will have to put the fast growing one somewhere cooler or it will flower while still to cold to put it outdoors. Its still only 2 or 3 degrees C at the coldest part of the night here sometimes at the moment.

Comments (14)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Do you mean A. griffithii?? This is the most spectacular species in the genus in my opinion...the Pradhanii variant is just so amazing that I can not imagine any Arisaema grower not having this one.....tougher to grow than the standard forms most of us have, but with such beauty it can be excused for that I suppose!!

The flower and leaf come up together on griffithii. I've got dozens of these shooting flower spikes now as well....way too early, but we were too warm here this winter.....they can handle 2-3C without a blush....our -5C nights we are having is a concern though so mine are staying in the garage for now....silly plants!!

My nepenthoides are already in flower and my utile (also in the griffithii group of course) are also pushing fast and furious....now if we could get a decent day so that I could take a pic or two I'd be happy :o) Dan

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    18 years ago

Maybe this will help ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paghat's Garden

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, they are A. griffithii.
    I shall put them out then because they are growing too fast in the house. I can't cope with arum perfume in the house!

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

I personally do not think that Arisaema have any odor to speak of, but maybe my nose doesn't work like it should...certainly nothing like an Amorph or Dracunculus. Best of luck with them :o) Dan

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for info bluebonsai101

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Dan, your nepenthoides is already in flower? Wah....that must mean that mine died. Darn it. I am just NOT having any luck with arisaemas. So, okay, I guess I'll just give up on these guys. I can't seem to grow them at all. We had a very dry winter. Do you think that had anything to do with it, Dan?

Susan

• rubbleshop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi susanlynne48,

Are you sure that Dan's have not just been in a slightly warmer place than yours? Also there is a lot of variation with my Griffiths Cobra Lillies, merely from plant to plant in similar conditions. I think that is dependant on corm size - the smaller ones take longer to start up, possibly because they are not going to flower this year.

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, I dig and store all of mine in my garage for the winter (40F or so). griffithii, utile and nepenthoides require a damp storage to succedd the following spring at any level. Several others that it is claimed need to be stored damp I find do not need this treatment at all to have 100% success..speciosum comes to mind along with concinnum. The difficulty with those in the griffithii group is that they want to be stored barely damp, but if they are too wet they will of course rot....a delicate balance is required. I always advise people against getting these species for their first few.....until they have some experience with the trivial to grow ones (most Japanese species....several Chinese species) they should stay away from the tougher ones in my opinion. The problem is people see griffithii or the amazingly mottled petiole of nepenthoides and they want it even though they have never grown an Arisaema before.....

Yours may be dormant still if it was planted outside....likely would be in fact....they require perfect drainage in the ground....if you gave it a good spot then I'm sure it is fine.....give it a chance to show itself!!

If you want a terribly easy one for the ground then you should try tortuosum for example....these can get 4-5 feet tall (I had some 4+ feet tall last summer) and are very, very hardy.....fargesii and candidissimum are real easy Chinese species that can be put in the ground....even like lots of sun in the case of candi.....please do not be put off by this genus until you give it a chance....once you find the right few species and proper place in the garden they will really be your favorite plants :o) Dan

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Want to try an early riser? A. undulatifolium is always up in my garden by March 1st, even earlier this year. Spathe has already withered and foliage is in full spread. A.ringens, A. yamatense, ssp. sugimotoi, A. urashima, A. thunbergiii and CY # 6(no ID yet) is in full bloom & leaf. A. serratum is up about a foot, but little action from about 25-30 other species. A. tortuosum is always late for me, A. candidissimum is dead last, usually mid-summer. I always bring A. griffithii in during the winter, so I can control the moisture and temp. As Dan said, it's not the easiest species to grow. I have had them fail in the garden in past years. Don't give up Susan! Once established in the right environment, they will pop up on schedule every year.
    Rb

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hey RB, It's amazing how much diference a zone can make!!! The only ones I have up are nepenthoides, utile and griffithii. My ringens is starting to put up a good fight, but not yet.......urashima and all other japanese forms still hiding out and showing no interest at all in our weather....smart plants!!

One of my nepenthoides is flowering with the very dark purple spathe form I'm pretty sure...it was a new one that I imported last fall and found no takers for.....now of course, I'm glad since I do not have this far more unusual form....it was mixed in with the standard forms :o)

Susan, do not give up on these, just find the right species and place and you will be happy you did :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

All right - you've given me hope and a lot of information. Thank you both so much. Now I am armed with some knowledge on what species to buy. I had no idea nepenthoides was so finicky. I will take a "wait and see" on it. But, in the meantime, I'll will put tortuosum on my want list, along with fargesii, candidissimum, and the ones you mention, Razorback!

Griffithii is so beautiful - you're lucky you guys can grow it.

Susan

• kwoods
    18 years ago

"Hey RB, It's amazing how much diference a zone can make!!!"

Even different climes within the same zone Dan. I have nothing even showing and I'm in zone 7, but colder than RB. Some are the same species RB has blooming urashima, thunbergi, yamatense. Are these in the ground or potted?

C'mon now Dan, RB, Rubbleshop, I can't wait for mine so pics, pics PICS!

• razorback33
    18 years ago

All of the Arisaemas that are up. are in the ground, except the CY#6, as it has no ID yet, I am treating it as a Tropical. I have 17 species in the ground, 14 more in pots, some of which are overwintered outdoors. Three in-ground species didn't return last year, A. jacquemontii, A. intermedium and the little A. kelung-insulare, which had been perking along for several years. Win some, lose some.. and move on with something new!
    We had 12 Hrs, 1 Min. of sunlight yeterday, so I guess Spring has arrived ahead of schedule. A lot of plants blooming and sprouting new leaves. We old gardeners are trying to tune up our muscles again. Takes longer each year.
    Rb

Did anyone attend the Phila. Flower Show this year?
    There were some great Arisaema species in comp there this year.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Razorback - you lucky dog! Got any tortuosum you might want to share? I am about spent out. Am going to have to rely on trades and sharing pretty much this summer since I had to cut back hours at work.

Susan

Sponsored