Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EEs in pots with no soil, just gravel?

Posted by mwyler z6CT (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 18:53

Hello:

I have overwintered some alocasia and colocasia.............before I put them back into my pond, I'd like to know if anyone has just put them in pots of gravel with no soil.........at the end of the season in my pond, my plants have long trailing roots and seem to be happy in water with hardly any soil............I'm thinking if I put them in containers with gravel, the weight of the pot would mean that they might tip over less, which is a problem I have. Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Melanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EEs in pots with no soil, just gravel?

colocasia can be grown as aquatic plants, not sure about alo, I would guess no.

if they are in pure gravel, you will have to provide water more often than is reasonably possible since the moisture retention is non-existent

o
RE: EEs in pots with no soil, just gravel?

I also overwinter EE's and cannas for my pond. I start them inside in soil and once they are rooted and sprouting I wash all the soil off and put them in baskets with rocks to weigh them down and hold them in the baskets and put them in the pond. No soil whatsoever. I have been using this method for years with great success. I found out the hard way that if they don't root and show some top growth before being immersed in the pond the bulb will rot in the water. I don't use soil for any of my pond plants...too messy etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here