Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Purchased 2 elephant ears tubers today

glaswegian
16 years ago

So I got these 2 kinds today, 1 said extra large elephant ears on it, and the other said "upright elephant ears"

Can anyone identify what I have and give the proper name? Also please post a pic of a grown one with the proper name if you find them

upright EE

{{gwi:382794}}

Extra large EE

{{gwi:382796}}

Cheers

Comments (19)

• philofan
    16 years ago

Wow, you got some big ones there!

The bottom one looks like a large C. esculenta tuber I planted recently.

As for upright elephant ear...that could mean that it is an alocasia, which may have upward pointing leaves, like A. macrorrhiza.

You really won't know for sure until you see some leaves though.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx.....Can't wait to see these sprout

• Linda G (zone 5b)
    16 years ago

this is going to sound really dumb but on the 2nd picture - the extra large elephant ear, which end is the root end?

I just bought two that look like it but just rounder and have no idea!

Thanks
    Linda

• xerophyte NYC
    16 years ago

looks like the right side is the root end, the pink stub is where the new shoots will form.

next time, if you're unsure of a tuber, just plant it sideways

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The right side is indeed what goes into the ground, with the pinkish stub just above soil level.

• Linda G (zone 5b)
    16 years ago

Thank you!

• tropicallvr
    15 years ago

Those look huge! Did your mail order them?

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know, I get that all the time :-) LOL

Anyhoo....No I picked them up in person at a local garden center. The Colocosia was $11 and the Alocasia was $17.

They've both been potted up indoors

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Does anyone know how large those huge tubers are going to get this year. I planted a couple not too long ago and was just wondering...

Either way, glaswegian , those are some nice healthy looking tubers. My compliments!

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tubers have started rooting and I can see noticeable eyes

• eileen44_gardener
    15 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has posted any info regarding elephant ears....I actually picked up a large 'bulb' this afternoon at the local garden center ($7)....and a lovely large pot to grow it in..then I saw them later in Wal-mart....a bit smaller, for $3.00!...I absolutely love the many pictures some of you have posted!...this is my first experience and if it goes well, I will definitely look forward to finding the newer choices out there for next year. I read the instructions...they say to bury 2 inches deep in soil....but the pictures posted where they are only half buried and seeing them sprout...well that's what I'll start with.....wonder if I should start in a smaller pot first...or go straight to the large one which will grace my 3 x 3 'deck'...or actually the landing before entering the house!..would anyone know whether soaking the elephant ears corm in warm water first as we do for large amaryllis bulbs, give them a "jump" start? Thanks for your help

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whatever you do, do not soak the corm, you will only rot it. Get a bigger pot to start with, instead of trying to transplant later.

A 12" or 16" should be just fine. The 2nd one you see above in my pics, now has 8 "eyes" on it sprouting, with each eye being around 2-3" above soil.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1 of my EEs pictured above, now in the ground on the front lawn

{{gwi:382798}}

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update

{{gwi:382800}}

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Wow, that thing is really taking off. I'm glad you posted this thread. I didn't know that the corm had a top. I planted in on it's side and I have only one plant coming up.

Now that being said, maybe it'll work out for the best as the one plant will really feed off that corm with no competition and really shoot up!

Yeeaahh

Thanks for the pics!

• nucci60
    15 years ago

Speaking of WALmart, does nyone know what type of EEs they do sell? They usually have big piles of them every spring and sell between $2.50 and $3.00. They are just marked "Elephant ear" and are about 4" long on average.

• jroot
    15 years ago

I was wondering if you have been able to save the EE over the winters. I grew them for several years, but have been unsuccessful wintering the corms over the winer.

Any suggestions? Please copy your comments via email to me directly, if possible.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purchased another 2 last weekend in Burlington Ontario. I have started them indoors under light and potting soil

• Johnsp
    11 years ago

Walmart usually sells Colocasia esculenta at least that is the specie sold here in the NE like the other box stores although I did see Black Magic being sold in a bag at my local Home
    Depot yesterday.

Scott

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz