Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla Lillies

Posted by krazyjorge0424 10B South Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 07 at 21:21

I want to plant calla lillies so I began to look around the web and read that only Z. aethiopica can grow yearly in south florida and that all other grow and bloom then die to never come back is this true? or can I plant the other colored callas in south florida and be successful every year with proper care?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla Lillies

Hi
I have had no luck with either in Palm Beach county.
Very frustrating as they usually grow well the first year
then decline. I treat them as annuals growing in late winter into spring. When the heat and rains come they usually rot. gary

o

hi what if you dig them up and replant them in late summer when it is cooler out i know here in canada i grow many colors and have no problem or what if you planted them undeer a tree in the shade anna

o

Anna
Well, we can't expect any consistantly cool weather until late Nov. Fall is normally the hottest time of the year. Shade is a requirement though Aethiopica will survive
if grown in standing water.. but it also declines sharply during summer fall.
I have the best luck treating them as annuals planting in late Dec. and disposing of them by late May.
gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here