Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_c

It's alieevve! It's alieevve!

holly_c
18 years ago

...to quote Dr. Frankenstein. My Borneo Giants (all three of them) are alive! This is a big thing because it is as if they were cursed from the day they arrived. They were supposed to arrive before I left for Mexico and instead they arrived the day that I left and sat on my doorstep for 8 days. I returned and found them on Saturday and barely had time to throw some water on them and head for the hills because hurricane Katrina hit Sunday. Once again they sat neglected (tucked away in my laundry room) for about 10 days before I could get back home to do anything with them. Since the yard was destroyed, I couldn't plant them in the ground so I just put them in pots and they stayed outside all winter. This weekend I could see the first signs of little green buds. Just had to shout the good news to someone that would understand. I am soooo happy! Now they can actually go in the ground!

Comments (16)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

That's really great, Holly! Maybe a positive sign for everyone down here. Glad they're giving you a demonstration of how tough they can be!

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Any good news coming out of NOLA is a plus. I hope you have a great growing season. Did you have much damage to your home?

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Congratulations, Holly!

Susan

• holly_c
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was very fortunate. I did not have flooding but had a huge oak tree fall on part of the house. The crane that had to come in the yard to remove the tree absolutely demolished the yard. The bright side for me is that where I used to have a totally shaded yard, I now have sun so this year I can plant sun loving plants! I am so excited that these Borneo's have survived. I can't put them where I had originally planned but I don't care!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Holly, is this supposed to be a toughy to grow? I grow colocasia and alocasias, too, but haven't, for some odd reason, acquired this particular one. Have several, and probably will eventually acquire this one, and would like to know a bit about it.

Thanks,

Susan

• holly_c
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can't believe that they are hard to grow. These three have survived neglect upon neglect and are budding out nicely. I ordered mine from Natural Selections in Florida. They were about two feet tall when I found them (8 days after delivery) on my doorstep last August. I think you should give it a try. I will be planting these in the yard as soon as they are fully sprouted. I'll post pictures when they are fully grown. I am lucky in that they can live outside year 'round here. Other people who grow them here state that the foliage dies back during Jan/Feb but the plant comes out again in spring. My bananas perform the same way. They stay out all year with only the leaves dying in winter. The plant itself gets bigger each year. I never cut them back or dig them.

• colabama
    18 years ago

we are so happy for you and i hope they grow to be 10' tall!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Yeah - me, too, Holly. I grow a lot of alocasias and colocasias in the ground here. They die back over winter, but come back every year.

Susan

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Everytime i see this post i think of aleve.
    {{gwi:382899}}

• wolflover
    18 years ago

Great news, Holly! It sounds like these babies are going to be winners! I look forward to seeing pictures of them when they are grown. :)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I think it would be too cool to start naming some of the EEs after drugs, like Alocasia Percocet, or Colocasia Dramamine, or Xanthosoma Soma.

Hee Hee!

Susan

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Xanthosoma Xanax

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Colocasia Crystal Meth.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Planty, you "crack" me up!

Susan

• holly_c
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Internet's been down but can someone please tell me where I can get that Xanthosoma Xanax???????????????????????? I'll be a plantin' fool!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Holly, LOL! Don't we all wish? Planty's a nut case! But we luv him and claim him as ours!

Susan

Sponsored