Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_n_sc

Callas in pots

joe_n_sc
17 years ago

Hi, I potted a few calla roots I bought at Walmart and they are sprouting. Can I leave them in the pots all summer and will they bloom and thrive in the pots? Also, how do I store them for the winter? I live in South Carolina, in zone 7. We have hot, humid summers and unpredictable winters with freezing weather one day and warm weather the next. Any and all info will be appreciated as this is my first time with callas. Thanks, Joe.

Comments (5)

• honeybunny442
    17 years ago

Hi Joe,
    They will grow just fine in pots. Don't give them too much water until the leaves start. Callas can have sprouts for a long time before they actually get growing. If you water them too much, to try and get them growing- they may rot.

You can also try growing them in the ground, they will be happiest with a lot of sun, but a little bit of shade.
    Callas like full sun but cool roots- if you can figure out how to do that, you will succeed!

In the fall, once the leaves die back, you can take them out of the pots and dry them a bit. Knock or pull off the dead, dry roots and store dry in a cool spot, for ex. a basement.
    Some people have also left them in pots over the winter but storing them dry works best for me.

You are right on the hardiness edge for Callas. If you plant them in the ground, they might come back next year. Personally I wouldn't take the chance- unless you only spent a few dollars and don't mind losing your flowers!

Good luck and enjoy- show us photos as you get them.
    What varieties did you buy?
    Susan

• arlene212
    16 years ago

Hi, I just planted some callas in a pot, they looked beautiful for three days, now the leaves are wilting, and curling. They get full Florida sun from 9 am to 1:30 pm, and the dirt feels moist. I'm thinking, maybe I over did it with the water and I should let it dry out a little. I'm not sure, I absolutely love them, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• arlene212
    16 years ago

Hi, I just planted some callas in a pot, they looked beautiful for three days, now the leaves are wilting, and curling. They get full Florida sun from 9 am to 1:30 pm, and the soil feels moist. I'm thinking, maybe I over did it with the water and I should let it dry out a little. I'm not sure, I absolutely love them, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• cheetos
    16 years ago

I tried growing a Calla lily from a bulb I got in March. Nothing.. no sprout nothing at all. Is it the wrong time for it to start? I am keeping the soil cool as required.

• honeybunny442
    16 years ago

Don't overdo it with the water- colored hybrids do not like their soil wet all the time (white Aethiopica do, though). Florida sun might be a little strong- try filtered shade, or dappled shade.

Cheetos,
    Callas will grow when they are ready. How cool is your soil? Should be warmer than 70 degrees. Where do you have your calla? In the house? Outside? In the sun? shade?