Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

Is Mickey Mouse Taro a runner?

Gardener972
14 years ago

Will it send out "runners" away from the mother plant? If so, how far? Can they be a nuisance?

Comments (4)

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

That would depend on what plant you are growing.

Depending on the source you read some say it is a Alocasia or Colocasia but the more authoritative sources appear to indicate it is just a small form of Xanthosoma sagittifolium. X sagittifolium is not called a Taro in the areas where it is eaten but has other common names including Arrowleaf Elephant Ear, Malanga, Yautia, Tannia, Mangarás, New Cocoyam, Tajer, Tanier, Taioba, Chou Caribe, Cascamote and many other names. Taro normally applies to the plants in the Colocasia esculenta species which has well over 100 known forms.

Such is the problem with depending solely on a common name to try to learn about how a plant grows.

If your plant is a a Colocasia or Alocasia it will eventually run, if it is a Xanthosoma it will produce offsets next to the parent.

Sellers often just make up common names without regard to science and growers are then stuck with figuring out what they are growing due to all the misinformation found on the internet. "Mickey Mouse" is obviously a made-up name with no scientific background.

As aroids mature they morph due to both natural variation and ontogeny (natural change due to growth). The link below will help you understand these processes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural variation

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

By the way, you may want to know the variegation in the plant will likely not be long lasting. Studies have shown the white areas are due to a virus that causes chlorophyll producing tissue to loose the ability to produce the chlorophyll that produce sugars to feed the plant.

Many tissue culture labs are now injecting the virus into young plants to artificially cause the white or yellowish areas since growers like them.

The bleached areas are due to some of the plantÂs tissue losing the ability to produce chloroplasts so the tissue no longer produces green. Without the green tissue a plant will eventually die since it cannot produce food for itself or return oxygen to the atmosphere. Fortunately most eventually recover from the virus and return to the natural green state as they grow.

Some people have thought they have found the "holy grail" if they come upon a totally white plant but those are almost virtually destined to die.

Naturally variegated plants can be found in nature but they too are affected by the virus. Some sellers try to inbreed those plants since they can charge a higher price for a variegated form but in reality few stay variegated for their entire life and will outgrow the form due to ontogeny.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very interesting!!! Thanks to both of you!

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

I just learned some of the running forms of Colocasia may be in the process of being divided out into a separate species. Botanist Pete Boyce has agreed to send me a copy of his new paper but I'm not sure how much of the information I can reveal prior to it being published.

Some of the currently accepted forms of Colocasia esculenta will now be included in the currently ill-defined species Colocasia antiquorum. Since "Mickey Mouse" is a common name rather than a scientific name I can't comment but I suspect it may be in this group.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor