Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeb004

Soil advice on A. konjac

joeb004
18 years ago

Sorry, I'm a complete beginner on this one. I have extensive expierence with many carnivorous plants, and a fair amount of experince on cacti. While these are very very particular in their soil requirements (hold lots of water and no nutrients for CPs, hold very little water for cacti); the requirements are very straight forward. Does anyone have any advice for my soon to be planted A. konjac? Based on what I am thinking so far, those peat/plant matter based potting soils seem reasonable alternative.

Regards,

Joe

Comments (6)

• joeb004
    Original Author
    18 years ago

PS I was concerned about the water retention in those peat based soils. Great for CPs, but I see lots of messages about rot on wet tubers. I could try something closer to my Nepenthes mix which is generally 2 parts peat, 2 parts orchid/pine bark, 2 part long fibered shagnum, 1 part perlite, 1 part charcoal.

• sal_mando
    17 years ago

I grew A. konjac last year for the first time and used something like this: 1/3 perlite, 1/3 fine pine bark mulch, 1/3 Miracle Grow potting soil. It drains quickly.
    Bob

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Would this be a mix for growing in the ground or growing in a pot? If growing in the ground, what happens if the tubers produce offsets and eventually grow out of that medium? Or, are you talking about doing an entire bed with the mix? Just wondering because I have an A. konjac I need to plant outside. It is hardy in my zone, but I am concerned about the rotting issue during our winter. I'm thinking about planting it in a large pot instead and bringing it in over the winter.

I was thinking about using basically the same mix as you suggest, Bob, with the fine pine bark mulch/perlite/potting soil, and perhaps adding a bit of charcoal to it.

Susan

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Some of mine are in the ground, we have an alkaline sand and they are just sprouting. Some are in a mix of 1/3 perlite, 1/3 hardwood mulch and 1/3 miracle grow potting soil. One is in a cacti mix that I had left over. This year I decided to experiment and have one in an orchid mix, one in plain old potting soil, one in a garden mix. I got a bunch of konjac bulbs cheap so figured why not. All growing about the same. Seems they like good drainage more than anything.
    Do you grow nepenthes? I need to repot mine soon and was just wondering about what to use.
    Tally HO!

• joeb004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks...and yes, I have 6 nepenthes. I use pretty much use equal parts orchid bark/mix (if just the bark I add some charcoal myself), long fibered sphagnum, peat, and perlite. That works well for me...one thing to keep in mind is that the roots are EXTREMELY delicate; be extremely careful. Thats one of the advantages of the mix I use, it should fall apart fairly easily when it's time to replant.

Thanks!
    Joe

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I've got about 5 myself, miranda, alata, coccina (maybe?) and an unnamed one. They have seriously outgrown their pots, I couldn't swear there was even any soil left in the pots. They don't seem to care a bit but I want them repotted. I may collect more, after 2 years I've decided they like it here. I plan to learn to propogate them this month.
    Thanks for the soil recipe and good luck with your konjac!
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting