Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Arum/Dracunculus Help

Posted by pcparanormal 9 Central FL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 11:28

I bought a young healthy plant and planted it on the south side of my house in sandy, well drained soil and laid down mulch around it. It gets full sun and after it got established I watered less frequently and it seemed to be thriving with young healthy leaves and new sprouts off the stem.

Then last Sunday heavy rains came to Florida. And I mean heavy. It was a deluge of rain for half a day. Yesterday I checked the plant and the leaves were yellowing and the stem of the plant seemed hollow and soft when I touched it. Not good.

I assume this is from too much water. Is it too late to transplant the arum a few feet away so it's under the roof overhang of the house? That should keep most of the rain away, not sure why I didn't do this the first time. On a side note I did fertilize the arum yesterday with a small amount of well balanced fertilizer, but today nearly all the leaves are yellow, brittle, and some will probably be falling off the plant. Is it possible to prune the shoots with the yellow leaves?

Thanks for your help. This is my first time growing this.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Arum/Dracunculus Help

Here is a picture of what the plant looks like now.

o

Dig it up and check the tuber for rot.
If rot is present, you will need to pare off the rot down to healthy tissue with a clean knife. Rinse in 1:10 bleach: water solution and let callus in a cool dry place for at least two days. Replant when corm is healthy looking.
If no rot is present, the plant is going dormant. Keep dry in this case.

o

I agree you'd need to dig it up. Would be unusual for it only to be just going dormant at your time of the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here