Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiver_gw

sauromatum venosum in my zone

dirtdiver
19 years ago

I'm very excited to have several infant sauromatum venosums coming up under my basement fluorescents. I've noticed that some of you in similar climates dig your sauromatums up for the winter, but from my reading, I believe the plants have a good chance of overwintering just fine in the ground, as do my dracunculus. I have sandy soil with good drainage, but the winters can be cold and sporadically very wet with Chicago snow. Anyone grow these outside under similar conditions? Can I treat the sauromatum and dracunculus the same way? Also, anything I have to be sure to give these plants? Really rich soil? Really good drainage? More sun than not? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Krstofer
    19 years ago

I fertilize the heck out of mine- and while I may drag the pots in next winter, I usually dig them & keep 'em under the bed in a box. Winters are *really* wet here & I don't want them rotting in the ground.

I pretty much treat all mine the same way- tons of water & fertilizer. It's really dry and hot here in the summers so water disappears almost immediately.

I don't know if I'd leave mine outside for the winter... Way too much money invested to feed the worms. I've got 3 baby titaniums and a gigas I'm even afraid to put outside... They live in my 'greenroom' with all the seedlings under the lights.

I'd give them well draining but rich soil- plenty of food but they're not sitting in water.

• ARUM
    19 years ago

Sometime after you get a good supply of bulbs, you can experiment and leave one or two outside to see if it can make it. :) Arum

• Ruth_MI
    19 years ago

I left a small one out last winter. No sign of it yet, but I haven't seen many of my plants emerge yet.

My son came home from school the other day and said they were studying plants in biology. The teacher was telling them how different plants are pollinated, and that some (gasp) even smell like rotten meat to attract their pollinators. The teacher asked "How would you like to have one of THOSE in your house?" My son raised his hand and said "Right here, Mr. B______." Gee, and I took them to the garage when they got really smelly!

• Heorot
    19 years ago

My Sauromatum venosum are thriving outside in zone 7a. I am 25 miles due west of Washington, DC where temps briefly drop into the single digits. I have them in a raised bed of clay soil heavily amended with rotted leaves, pine needles, and other humus. I bought a lot of 25 bulbs some 5 or 6 years ago. I divide them in the fall and have doubled their number. They are well over knee high and the leaves are over 16 inches long. I do not fertilize. I water them no more than once a week. This is a woodland setting with shade from tall tulip poplars.

• krazyaroider
    19 years ago

hello all Aroiders -
    Last year I planted some spare quarter sized tubers in various areas in my zone 5/6 yard just outside of Buffalo NY. Earlier this "spring", I had to remove a small tree that has been struggling for a few years that I planted some Sauromatum venosum tubers around it.
    When I pulled the tree out, a tuber the size of a softball popped out along with others that were smaller. It obviously likes the south facing location in my back yard, but it was still dormant with no signs of new growth starting.
    I am curious if an inflorence will grow, I will have to wait as the original tuber in a pot has bloomed, very little odor already.
    So this should help with the hardiness question, yes I had some red cedar mulch over them, but we had a pretty persistant snow cover too.
    Cheers ;-) KA

• eukaryote
    18 years ago

This species has done well for me in Kansas City for the last couple of years. Mine are in well-drained organically rich soil in a bed under dappled shade. They do seem to appreciate a lot of fertilizer too.
    Here's a pic of mine from last week:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sauromatum

Sponsored