Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla lily question

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:56

How cool can calla lilies handle? I want to put my calla lily outside but we're still having cool temps at night. Don't want it to go dormant again before it really gets going.

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla lily question

Please help. I purchased my home last March and it has well established White Cali Lilies that bloomed like crazy last year and are doing the same this year. They seem to require little care other than keeping the snails off them and I cut them down at the end of the season. I found Yellow, Purlple, Pink and various other ones at HomeDepot and Lowes so I purchased about 8 off them in various size containers (quart and gallon). Each one I have planted are very sickly after transplanting. The leaves first turn yellow and then the blooms start going bad. I was hoping not to just have white ones but a multitude of colors but they don't seem to do well. I have one purple one still in the original one gallon pot that in doing good and I am afraid to transplant it. I feel I have wasted a lot of money on these. Please help.

o

As of follow-up I am going to cut one of the sick ones down to the top of the ground and see if I get new growth. Each year I do cut the white ones down to top of the ground and they come back twice as strong the next year.

o

gardenfanatic- is it dormant now or has it started growing? If it's growing, frost would be your main concern. Once growing, they don't usually go dormant until after flowering and then getting cold, shorter days, etc.

tj

o

frost will whack it back, this cold will just slow it down, way down but it will likely be ok...im still waiting if that tells you anything

mason- yours will be fine, you need to water them lots when first planted, light fertilizer wont hurt either, make sure they are planted 6 inches deep as well, new foliage and blooms will be coming on in no time

o

Make sure you don't water when it is cold. Most tropical/subtropical Aroids hate to be cold AND wet. Water on warm days c warm/tepid water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here