Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amorphophallus obscurus cultural info

Posted by skeptis z5b montreal (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 16:10

i was wondering about the culture info on this one-i just bought a 1" bulb. I was wondering if it's rot sensitive and needs good drainage or likes it moist like A. konjac (during the growing period i mean) and also what the hardines is-can i keep the tuber in the fridge like i do Dracunculis and A. konjac during winter? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amorphophallus obscurus cultural info

Well, why not ask the guy you bought it from...I assume he grows them and isn't just a seller! If so, and he is selling 1" tubers, which is big for obscurus, especially if it is something other than the common green leaf variety, then he must be very successful at their culture.

If you look at the thread a bit further down you can see people rot these....I'm growing them for the first time this year so can not comment.....no way in the fridge....I wouldn't do that to a konjac though....why not just leave it sitting on a shelf or in the basement....they absolutely do not require any cold period at all. I personally have stored my one tiny highly variegated tuber of obscurus in peat for the winter and knowing that is is rot sensitive will grow it indoors all year after it leafs out.

Best of luck :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here