Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracontium prancei

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 16:27

Now that my Dracontium are nice and big they are blooming every year. Here is my D. prancei for 2011:

Dracontium prancei

Dracontium prancei

Dracontium prancei

The spathe is 11" tall and the peduncle is 5" tall on this species this year. These are my favorite aroids by far and I have gotten rid of most of my others over the years in favor of these. Unfortunately, this genus is very difficult to find other than the couple of common ones (D. polyphyllum and D. amazonense) :o) Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracontium prancei

Not bad Dan , just got 2 flowers left up from a late flowering
patch that ended up in full sun after recent cyclone destroyed tree cover . These really grow well planted out forming a nice clump of large tubers . I have recommended this sp. as being easy to grow and fairly cold hardy after your reports on its ease of culture , thanks . Awaiting flowers on some recent acquisitions , it has a delightful colourful petiole . Have a pic up on my facebook album .

Here is a link that might be useful: my Phallid album on facebook

o
RE: Dracontium prancei

Michael, that looks like a lovely petiole on the no-ID species!! I have found prancei, polyphyllum and amazonense to be easy to grow after finally figuring out what I was doing. There was a large tuber of croatii on OZ ebay recently, but unfortunately it could not be shipped to the U.S. It only sold for a bit over $200 which was low in my opinion......wish it would have been available in the U.S.

There is a woman in Peru who imports all the time that said she could maybe get me some tubers so lets hope that actually happens this summer.....been priming that pump for 2 years now so I am hopeful.

Please post pics if any of your new ones bloom :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here