Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Aquaitc Callas in Regular Potting Soil?

Posted by icebird28 Dallas (icebird1@airmail.net) on
Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 17:02

My callas didn't perform very well last year. I was wondering if regular Miracle-Gro potting soil with some pebbles added would be a good soil for them this year. I wanted to post to make sure it was ok. I would hate for them to rot because of too much moisture. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-Aquaitc Callas in Regular Potting Soil?

Just don't water them too much until they start to leaf out. You might add a little extra perlite to the potting soil.
Susan

o
RE: Non-Aquaitc Callas in Regular Potting Soil?

Did you grow them in a pot or in the ground?

The biggest challenge in a pot is giving them enough water, unless you have a huge container, in Dallas I would imagine you may need to water several times a day to keep the cannas satisfied...even in the ground they like lots of water in hot weather.

They will only rot if you water too much before leaves are present. Once they leaf out, most cannas can be grown as aquatic plants.

With some of my cannas last year, I started the rhizomes in advance and when they were ready to be planted, I dug a large hole in the yard, put a large black garbage bag into it and then filled it back up with soil and plants...the reduced drainage created a constant wet muck that seemed beneficial to the plants.

o
RE: OOPS! Non-Aquaitc Callas in Regular Potting Soil?

Sorry...I thought you asked about "Canna" not "Calla", just ignore what I wrote

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here