Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids all over my Colocasia 'Mojito' and 'Black Magic'!

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 17:29

I've had a bad infestation of aphids covering my Mojitos and Black Magics. See photos at link below. These plants are new to me this year so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I treated them with Safer Insecticidal Soap (which burned the leaves) but for now, the aphids are at bay. So here's the question: Is this going to be an ongoing battle all summer? Do the aphids return again and again and again? When I searched the web, I found very few people with the same problem. Trying to figure out why I did. There are no ant hills, so these are not aphids farmed by ants.

Have any of you experienced ongoing aphid problems with colocasia or alocasia? If so, what did you use to treat?

Thanks so much!
Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Insects all over my Colocasia 'Mojito' and 'Black Magic'!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids all over my Colocasia 'Mojito' and 'Black Magic'!

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 15:43

neem oil is a good one to use also. adding some lady bugs to your garden will help as they are a natural predator. Did you apply the soap with enough time for it to dry before the sun hit the leaves. That would be the only reason I would think it burned them.

o

A daily blast from a garden hose might help. Your EE's will like the water and humidity, and most of the aphids that are dislodged won't find their way back to the plant.

o

That's what I do, just knock them off while watering. The new leaves are coming out much faster than the 1 leaf is dying. I wouldn't let bugs kill my plants, but it doesn't look like it's anywhere near in danger yet. I'm leaving them alone so the beneficials have a reason to show up and get to work. The aphids don't seem very mobile, there's EE'a all around the yard but only 1 plant seems to have them.

o

I was in one of the nicer nurseries in Jacksonville yesterday and in their shade gardening area, they had a whole row of big, 3-gallon Black Magics. Sadly, each and every one was covered in aphids. It gave me the chills and memories of last year - it has been almost exactly a year since my first post! I wonder if Black Magics in Northeast Florida get them due to something with our location and time of year since others don't seem to have the problem?

Carol

o

Try adding some Lacewing Larvae loose on your plants. They can be purchased online. They'll stick around until they mature into gossamer winged insects. If you've used Safer Soap or Neem, make sure you wash it off and let leaves dry thoroughly before applying.
I always grow milkweed in the garden for two reasons:
1 They attract and support Monarch Butterflies.
2 They get a special orange aphid that attacks nothing else, except Oleander. The infestations can be severe, but the MW seems to tolerate it. This serves as a beacon and way station for beneficials who clean up the milkweeds and disseminate into the garden, mopping up as they go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here