Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

Please help...A. Bulbifer rot?

jardinerowa
10 years ago

Hello,

So I ordered a flowering size amorphophallus bulbifer tuber and got it and it has a growth point with no root nubs so I'm thinking it's going to flower. I didn't know whether to pot it up or just leave it on a shelf or table until it flowered like I've read people do with konjacs.
I tried to ask this question in other threads but no one responded so I potted up the tuber yesterday in loose soil but today I decided I should take it out. Already it seems the tuber has kind of a corky feel to it and I thought I saw some rot. Since I read also that people have cut rotten parts out, I cut black dead parts until I got to white flesh. I tried to cut very little off. Now I feel like I made a mistake potting it up but can't imagine one day caused it to rot suddenly. It must have already had some rot.
My question is, the growth point since I got it a couple weeks ago hasn't moved. It is a firm tuber just worried because the outer layer felt more cork-like when I dug it up today; maybe just feels that way as it had soaked up water. Now I'm drying it off and hopefully I didn't do the wrong thing....so my question, DO I pot it up or can I leave it on the shelf? Also, is rot self-contained sometimes? For instance, is it possible that these tubers have parts of rot and then because of good conditions the rot arrests itself and goes no further.
I am just so concerned that this or cutting it at all will affect ability to flower as I paid good money for it. Thanks all.
Z

Comments (5)

Sponsored