Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help...A. Bulbifer rot?

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 18:30

Hello,

So I ordered a flowering size amorphophallus bulbifer tuber and got it and it has a growth point with no root nubs so I'm thinking it's going to flower. I didn't know whether to pot it up or just leave it on a shelf or table until it flowered like I've read people do with konjacs.
I tried to ask this question in other threads but no one responded so I potted up the tuber yesterday in loose soil but today I decided I should take it out. Already it seems the tuber has kind of a corky feel to it and I thought I saw some rot. Since I read also that people have cut rotten parts out, I cut black dead parts until I got to white flesh. I tried to cut very little off. Now I feel like I made a mistake potting it up but can't imagine one day caused it to rot suddenly. It must have already had some rot.
My question is, the growth point since I got it a couple weeks ago hasn't moved. It is a firm tuber just worried because the outer layer felt more cork-like when I dug it up today; maybe just feels that way as it had soaked up water. Now I'm drying it off and hopefully I didn't do the wrong thing....so my question, DO I pot it up or can I leave it on the shelf? Also, is rot self-contained sometimes? For instance, is it possible that these tubers have parts of rot and then because of good conditions the rot arrests itself and goes no further.
I am just so concerned that this or cutting it at all will affect ability to flower as I paid good money for it. Thanks all.
Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help...A. Bulbifer rot?

where was the rotten area?

aroids often consume the old bulb and it sluffs off the bottom of the bulb...

one day in soil did not rot it

o

It seemed to be a couple areas on the side.

o

It is always preferable to keep your bulb in soil, dry when dormant /blooming and moist when actively growing. Keeping a bare corm on a shelf exposes it to ants, roaches and silverfish.

o

It still has a growth point which is good but I haven't put it in soil. I have COMPLETELY dry promix which I could put it in, I'll make a decision today LOL.

Z

o

Hi,
The completely dry pro mix is fine. Dont water till you see leaf growth, and if its a flower dont water then either.
If you have to remove more rot make sure to dust the cut area with a fungicide. When I have had rot, the area is soft and slimy, not corky. As GMBMH stated when the old bulb is consumed sometimes the husk clings to the new bulb like a cap--usually it would come off fairly easily, and the bulb underneath looks perfect. A pic always helps.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here