Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant ear question

Posted by Joan_in_AL 7AL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 20:33

I have not dug up or separated my elephant ear bulbs in the 5 years they have been planted. Okay, my problem is now there is a probaby 4 ft square of solid bulbs. How on earth do I separate these? It is just like one huge bulb!! They are out of the ground probably a foot high.. just bulb. Should I put dirt on these? Everytime I go out and look at this I just come back in.. too much to undertake. Do you cut them apart? DIg the whole thing up or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant ear question

• Posted by Hen11 z7 Eng UK (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 14:52

what specifically are they??

if you don't know, tell us how big, what colour, leaf size and any other aspects and we'll try to figure out.

it may appear to be one big bulb but is probably just a lot of smaller ones joined together. depending on the species, but for most, the bulb staying above ground is fine, they are just becoming very mature.

o
RE: Elephant ear question

My immediate thought is that you should dig around one side, out from the cluster, and then gently work on removing a bulb or two from the cluster and see how that goes. If it goes well, you can proceed to remove as many as you want, and then replant them lower in the ground. New roots will emerge from the previously exposed upper portions of the bulbs and will help the plants to grow larger this year. I, too, would like to know what kind they are!

LariAnn Garner

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here