Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhonwyn_gw

Repotting Aglaonema?

Rhonwyn
9 years ago

This is my first post on this forum - I wasn't sure if it should go here or on the House Plants forum, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
I have succulents at home, but recently started taking care of the indoor plants at my church. Predictably, they have a lot of Aglaonemas, which I've never cared for before, only a few of which have tags. There's one pot that I think got sunburned in its previous location right next to a window, so I moved it down by the stairwell to recover. After a couple of weeks it's still not doing well and I noticed one of the stems is soft with what I guess is rot (I stopped watering it when I noticed.) There is another, much smaller pot, with multiple very happy Aglaonema plants in it - several putting out new leaves, etc - but there are roots trailing out the drainage holes.
My question is: it would make sense to me to put the healthier, crowded plants into the larger pot and trim back the sick plants and put them in the smaller pot - is this a good idea? Is now (spring-ish) a good time to repot? I don't want to throw off the healthy plants if they shouldn't be disturbed at this stage.
Also, is Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting mix okay to use? There is a bag of it there, I'm assuming that's what they're in already. Should I mix in some perlite for better drainage?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it would be nice if nancy answered - she's very experienced with ag's. but she does hydro. but she would know anyway...
    i only just started last yr with thai ag.
    so i would say: add 40-50% perlite to MG soil mix. pot up a well growing plant in just slightly larger pot (2" wider in diameter) without disturbing the roots.
    put some soil 1-2" on the bottom, then put your old pot in and fill carefully soil into the sides, firm it a bit with fingers or spoon handle to compact just lightly. then rock the pot a bit to firm up 'imprint', lift. take plant out of the old pot and drop it in the new soil pocket. this way the plant will not even flinch! when you have same size empty pot for imprint - it's easier to work.
    now the mushy stem: you need to cut off the stem above the mushy part - you might be able to root in moistened perlite (bagged). also the rhizome below might be rotting. so you need to pull the soil-ball out, knock off some soil - so you can see what's happening inside. if rhizome is rotting too - you'll need to cut off the mushy part until it's white and clean. let it air-dry for 1-2 hours and dust the cut with cinnamon. then you can repot. if you have a lot of roots exposed - try to bag the root-ball to prevent moisture loss.
    you can down-size the pot or put it in the same one - depending on what's happening to the roots: rotting or healthy.
    put both in good bright light (no sun), keep warm - above 68F, 70F is better. tent the sick one with a large clear plastic bag with hole on top for ventilation. just for a few weeks until you see growth starting.
    oh, when you pre-mix your soil, do it like this: put perlite in large container, add water until it's a slurry, let it get absorbed (like cement), then fluff it up and add to soil. mix well.
    after you pot - do not water more , there will be enough moisture in the mix.
    ag's should never totally dry-out (in summer may be top 1/3 , in winter top 1/2 - do like cake test with chopstick). but do not over soak them ever , don't let water stand in saucers. the roots rot easily.
    here's a very good write-up from the aroid society

Here is a link that might be useful: ag-success

• Anne Ramsay Ramsay
    8 years ago

Thank you for this advice. My Aglaonema is doing very well but growing too large for the pot. I will follow these instructions and hopefully I will have more luck this time as I appear to kill plants when I transplant. Anne

• greenthumbs2
    8 years ago

I can tell you from personal experience thanks to the woman who cares for our plants over the winter. A chilled over-watered Ag' wont last long. They will succumb to root rot. Our gal has a heavy hand with the watering can. I had to buy her a moisture meter. We turn the heat down to 52 when we leave for FL in the fall. The chilly house and being kept too moist killed our two huge beautiful Ags. Churches, like schools, often turn the heat down when no one is there. These bldgs may not be the best place for this plant. This winter we took the Ags with us in the RV and they're thriving.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area