Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicallvr

A. Brian Williams...how hardy, and parents?

tropicallvr
18 years ago

I just picked up a one gal Alocasia Brian Williams, and I'm wondering what the hybrid parents are. I did a few searches and found no info, on parents or hardiness. The label said zone 7, but most aroids say that when they are from Monterey Bay Nursery.

Any thoughts, experiences or links that would be helpful?

Thanks,

Kyle

Comments (12)

• planty01976
    18 years ago

{{gwi:384422}}

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Planty, it doesn't get any more clear than that.
    I wonder if the cold hardiness genes comes from the A.macrorhiza. I'll protect mine till can make a few pups and test it.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

I would do the same, Kyle. That Amazonica parentage just might do it in, in a zone 7 climate. I'd love to try it, though. Beautiful aroid.

Susan

• planty01976
    17 years ago

The macrorrhiza is what makes it hardy. The Amazonica is very fussy, unpredictable re-emergence, and easily rots. Brian Williams should be able to do a mild winter in zone 7 if properly mulched, bring a few pups inside just in case.

• planty01976
    17 years ago

Let me add, Moisture is a factor. A dry dormant bulb is better than a wet dormant bulb.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

ah yes, the old wet hen theory.

Hey, Planty, haven't heard too much from your end of the universe lately! How goes my favorite rebel?

Susan

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's the problem with living on the west coast. I lose at least a zone with our cold rainy winters. Bananas rot easier, as well as alot of others, but then again there are alot of plants that like our cooler summer and less humid nights, and won't survive on the east and central part of the US.

• planty01976
    17 years ago

Im fine susan, thanks for askin! Been Lurking in the shadows.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

I understand. Glad to see you back in full force now! Waiting for some controversial subject to come up again. On the Oklahoma forum we had one come up on global warming, the greenhouse effect, ice cap melting, etc. Some believers and non-believers in scientific evidence.

Susan

• aroidgrower
    17 years ago

Who has over wintered Alocasia Brian Williams out doors. I would be interested to hear how hardy it is.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I've read that hot summers allow marginal plants to store up for the winter, and where the summers are not so hot--like the northern California coast--things may be lost in a milder winter than where they have had a long hot summer. Don't know if that was someone's theory or something that's been tested out, but it makes sense to me. Gotta be SOME benefit to stewing in our own juices all summer long!

• Kyle
    5 years ago

I believe I read that Polly was one of the parents. Unless I dreamed it. Can't remember the other. One of my Brians survived my zone 7a winter last year in a pot unprotected in any way. Pic below. Waiting to see if it survived this latest winter which was much harsher. I did cover it with mulch this time.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022