Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant or leave in pots?

Posted by cannacrazy 8 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 22:01

I just purchased an Imperial and Black Stem and wonder whether I should plant in the ground or leave in pots. My Hilo Beauties did great last year planted in the ground; I just should have lifted them in the fall and didn't know any better. I've done some research and it seems it would be fairly easy to lift the bulbs in the fall and store and obviously more space saving than potted plants. Is it as doable as it seems? What would you advise for the best summer growth and safest winter storage? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant or leave in pots?

Planting out is nearly always best . Though we don't have all those weird burrowing varmints you guys in US have . Even in really bad soil you could lay down wire mesh and dump a massive pile of potting mix , amend with lots of organic fertilers , cover in mulch .. that should give xclnt growth .

o
RE: Plant or leave in pots?

Aroideana, do you lift your plants before frost or leave in the ground year round? I know my plants will be much happier if planted in the ground but I worry that getting them back out of the ground before frost will be a problem unless I leave in pots. If I leave them in pots, then I might as well decide to have a container garden. Such a dilemma!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here