Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pokeytoesmomma

Questions about Lavender Calla Lily

pokeytoesmomma
19 years ago

Hello =)

I am totally new to Calla Lilies and have a few questions for all of you pro's on here....please excuse me if my questions seem stupid. =)

Today I purchased a gallon size pot of Lavender Calla Lilies. It wasn't that cheap....so I don't want to kill it. Leave it to me....I can! =)

I asked a woman who was also buying some if they would come back after our zone 7 winters...like a lot of lilies here do. (No need for digging them up in the fall) She told me they would be fine....hum....?????

My questions are.... Do I need to dig them up in fall?......If so, how should I store them?.....Do they spread/multiply like Day lilies, etc? Do they only bloom once a season?.....Does it hurt the Plant to cut the pretty flowers off and bring them in my gloomy house?

Thank you in advance for all your help and info on this subject. =P ~~~~~~~~~Goodnight~~~~~~~ Cris

Comments (11)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

Hi! Calla lilies are not true lilies and can't be compared. I don't think your lavender c.l. will be winter hardy in your zone and you should dig it up in the fall and store it in a cool dry place until spring. I don't know what you would store the tubers in though, maybe some wood shavings in a breathable bag like an onion or garlic bag. The c.l. do not spread like daylilies but their tubers can be divided when they are larger, you will be able to estimate every year since you'll be digging them up. It does not hurt the plant to cut the flowers and they are nice, long-lasting blooms as long as you change the water regularly. Blooms will continue to come up during the summer season only. Hope this is helpful and that other people can give you information as well.

• pokeytoesmomma
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much! You answered all my questions. I feel a lot more confident about growing them (and not killing them). Thank you again! =)

• jim_6b
    18 years ago

I am in zone 6b and my calla lilies come back every year with no problems.

• DebbieSue
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 7A & mine come back every year.

• pokeytoesmomma
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Since I have posted this....I have had a few people tell my husband that their C.L. come back here in zone 7. So I will try it and if they don't come back...them I will buy more next year. Thank you again for all your input on this matter! =)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

Good luck--I'm glad you got a lot of replies from people in zone 7 (or close to 7) so you don't have to do the work of digging and replanting every year!

• jamesco
    18 years ago

The hardiness has to do with situation. I overwinter Zant. in a Z7 location easily. (In-grounders are leafing now.) I suggest sunken rocks and leaves as mulch on a South exposure to stretch into Z6b and perhaps 6a. (This site includes several other marginal plants like oxalis, zephryanthes, and Colocasia. )I have a ton more of inconclusive but credible info on overwintering science, but it is safer to shut up now unless asked for more.

James

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

The leaves will go dormant in the fall, then you can dig the bulbs up and store them in your basement. I don't put mine in sawdust or anything, and they are fine.
    If you want to bring the plant in the house, it will need bright light. They really like to be in full sun.

It really isn't all that much work to dig it up and store it, and it will reward you with beautiful flowers and foliage for years!
    Susan

• MarcR
    18 years ago

You should try to keep them damp, but not wet until they begin to go dormant. When the foliage begins to die back, water sparingly about every 10-12 days until Oct then resume normal watering. If you leave them in the ground over Winter you should probably mulch with 24-30" of hardwood leaves (NOT from nut trees). the leaves will extend the hardiness of any bulb by 1 or 2 zones.

• KenKennedyDJ_live_com
    13 years ago

Hello All ! For Many Years I Thought Calla Lilies Were Indoor Only Plants, OK - I am Stupid, Well Maybe Non-Informed. They Just Look So Fragile And Ohhh So Beautiful !
    I Saw Some At A Local Garden Center And Got (2) "Lemon Drops" & (1) Lavender. I Put Them In My Flower Bed And They Are Stunning ! I Want To Admire The Beauties All Day.
    I Am Located In Extreme Northwest Mississippi, (Zone 7B From What I could Figure) - OK It's Very Obvious I Am New To All This. My Mother Passed Away Last Year And I Inherited Her Home, Which I now Live In.
    She Was PICKY About Her Flower Beds & Lawn.
    In My Precious Mothers Honor I Am Trying My Best To Keep Everything Exceptionally Eye Catching.
    May I Ask Some Of You With Experience A Few Questions, Please?
    Will I Need To Dig Bulbs Up And Store At Winter Time In My Zone? (I Didn't Know What A Zone Was Until Today!)
    If So, May They Be Stored In Refrigerators Produce Compartment?
    Will The Beauties Multiply Over The Years To Come?
    Thank All Of You Very Much !!

• eclayne
    13 years ago

Hi Ken,
    I looked at the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map and it looks like 7b is correct. As I'm in z5b and Callas are definitely not winter hardy here, I'll speak only to growing Callas. I've been growing a variety of Callas for over a decade and while I plant out my corms in late May some of this info. will pertain to you.
    As the roots don't like getting too hot: I recommend planting the corms 6-8" deep. Important-Apply 2-3" mulch. With your hotter summers I would think this is more important!
    I plant in full sun. Always plant in well drained soil. Generally Callas are heavy drinkers, water regularly. Adding Bone Meal or other high Phosphorous, the P in NPK, fertilizer (in late summer here) will result in bigger corms(bulbs).
    Hope this helps.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville