Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xavier_cugat

Amorphophallus Konjac tips

Xavier_Cugat
19 years ago

Hello, I just discovered this sight while I was doing some reasearch on Amorphophallus Konjac after seeing one on Ebay peeked my intrests. I have some questions about the plant

1.Where is it originally From?

2.I have seen on other sites that the plant can be grown in the ground as far north as zone6 which is where I live, so long as I blanket the tuber in a thick layer of mulch-has anyone tryed to plant these in the ground in zone 6 with any sucess? Do you think the mulch would work?

3.I was going to buy a small plant from a website for 14 dollars s/h included, but I have read other posts in which fellow forum members have said that one could be obtianed for free from other forum members--Does any one have a Amorphophallus Konjac that they would like to give me?

4. If they can be planted outdoors, would now be the time, otherwise, when would I take one of a dry shelf (dormant) and plant it?

5. Does it also go by the name voodoo lily, and is the jack in the pulpit in the same family?

Thanks for all your help--i look forward to reading your replies.

Comments (5)

• handspeakboy
    19 years ago

Hey ..
    I know someone will correct me on this .. but I believe they are from parts of china.

I have a friend who has had some of his come up and survive in zone 5. Though I would reccomend digging it up and waiting til you have a few offsets to play around with until you do any experimentation. I dig mine up here in seattle Wa. zone 8/7 just because we get sopping wet during the winter. So it may also depend on your conditions. But give it a year or two and you will have plenty of offsets to play with.. Like a friend says .. these are a weed.

amorphophallus is a member of araceae and is also the same family of plants that jack in the pulpits(arisaema) are in.
    A good place to go and slobber over pictures is www.aroid.org.

Ebay is a good place to look..there are a few sites that have good prices .. but.. these are a common variety with those of us amorphophiles.. So if you are willing to settle for some small offsets then one of us on here may be able get one to you.

Chris

• tropsanddune
    18 years ago

Howdy Xa:
    get in touch w me directly, you may be able to get some for just postage...rm

• herp35
    16 years ago

I bought 5 konjac corms from ebay last year and their leaf was about 6 in. tall. When I planted my corms this year one of them looked like it had tried to produce an offset bot it is just a 1 in. ball on a 3 in. appendage of the original corm. Is that normal?

• konjacking
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I have been growing konjacs for about 34 years now. I am in Detroit Michigan area and that is Z 5 I believe. I have soo many left in the grown next to my house ... they are almost like weeds. I pull out the small ones and through out in the summer! I have left blooming sized ones out also and had them bloom right in the ground next to the house foundation. I atached a picturte of one I grew in a pot that I bing in every fall.

{{gwi:384491}}

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    15 years ago

"I bought 5 konjac corms from ebay last year and their leaf was about 6 in. tall. When I planted my corms this year one of them looked like it had tried to produce an offset bot it is just a 1 in. ball on a 3 in. appendage of the original corm. Is that normal?"

Perfectly normal. Konjac produces offsets on thin rhizomes sometimes. Other times it has thick rhizomes. Still others it will divide in half. Enjoy your plants, they sound like they are doing nicely. :-)

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers