Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
going to seed??

Posted by tango-n-cash (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 22:40

I was given a beautiful potted Calla Lily for my birthday in April. It has one beautiful yellow bloom that has now turned green. From what I understand it is because it is going to seed. I do see the "cob of corn" inside the flower so I am assuming this is correct. What I need to know now is how to harvest those seeds and how and when do I plant them?? I LOVE these flowers, they were used in my wedding and I have a home full of prints and photos....I would love to continue to maintain potted calla's....someone please help!! I have no idea what zone I am in.....but I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada if that helps anyone.
Thank you so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: going to seed??

Ok i will try and post my pictures of the steps of the planting the seed it might take awhile

o
picture of seeding

Photobucket
Here are the picture of the seeds of the calla lily follow these steps it will take about 3 weeks for them to come up remember they may not take after the mother but you might get some new ones you like.Anna lisa

o

Oh wow!! Thanks so much! That is a huge help! Right now, the flower is still green and starting to dip. I thought it was just because it was too tall....
Thank you so much!! I will let you know how it goes! Wish me luck ;)
Rebecca

o

Your "flower" is not a flower but instead an inflorescence. That inflorescence is composed of a spathe and spadix. The center portion is the spadix while the "flower" is the spathe. An inflorescence will produce berries along the spadix if pollinated. If it is "going to seed" you will see small berries begin to form along the spadices. This article explains the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination in Aroids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here