Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyguy10

A. yuloensis and A. symonianus

psyguy10
15 years ago

hello everyone, i have been thinking about getting some bulbs of Amorphophallus yuloensis and A. symonianus, but i have no idea how hardy those are, i wouldn't mind digging them up but i would like to know how cold they'd be able to get before they would be in danger... and theres almost no info on the web on how big these grow, so if anyone has grown these i'd like a little bit of help. thanks

-Matt

Comments (7)

• aroideana
    15 years ago

A.symonianus , is an easy grower , I have had it planted out for a few years , but it never gets cold here ,, maybe down to 60 on the coldest day . Will even take full sun .

• psyguy10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Aroideana, well thats good... i like easy LOL if i may ask, how tall does A. symonianus get? and is it a stinker like most amorphs? thanks...

-Matt

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

I have both of these too. This is my first time growing amorphophallus and am wondering about the leaf heights.

My biggest konjac is just over one foot, young plant. I have some pups up that are nearly as tall.
    What about yuloensis and symonianus ? How tall will their leaf get? My symonianus are coming up now.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I've got a few symonianus, they multiply steadily. But mine only ever get to about half a metre tall and haven't flowered so far.

• grabmebymyhandle
    9 years ago

One way to make sure you never lose those ones would be to store the leaf bulbils in a box inside, and leave the mother in place to fend for herslf, even the smallest of leaf bulbils will survive the winter and they grow rapidly!

Buyer beware...there's a seller on eBay tgat sells these 2, I ordered from him and received stock that appeared to be infected with a virus, it spread rapidly,
    Leading to my tossing several plants...

Quite a shame!

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

I got my symonianus and yuloensis from two different sellers but both on eBay. I bought 2 symonianus and got the the two plus two bulbils. One of the big ones had weird bumps on the tuber and is growing but not well. It looks like the leaf will not even open. The other one is doing really good, nice strong looking leaf. But both bulbils are up and looking good so I'm ok with the loss since I was sent twice as many plants as I paid for.

My yuloensis is looking good too. It's a much smaller plant but I'm hoping a good growing season and heavy feeding will yield a crop of good sized tubers from this and all my amorphs.

I'm also gonna plant one konjac in my garden to see how it does in open ground. Just to experiment since I have so many pups.
    I have a feeling I'll be selling konjacs myself this winter. I really don't have growing space for 30 of these guys. But if the one does well in the ground I may just keep them all and grow a field full and start eating them!

I have 3 species of amorphs. I'm hooked!

:)
    Joe

• grabmebymyhandle
    9 years ago

One way to make sure you never lose those ones would be to store the leaf bulbils in a box inside, and leave the mother in place to fend for herslf, even the smallest of leaf bulbils will survive the winter and they grow rapidly!

Buyer beware...there's a seller on eBay tgat sells these 2, I ordered from him and received stock that appeared to be infected with a virus, it spread rapidly,
    Leading to my tossing several plants...

Quite a shame!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus