Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Do wishes come true?

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

Three or four years back while trekking in Papua New Guinea I came across this Xanthostemon in a mountain village (there were of course a lot more others around, they had hundreds). They called them Chinese Taro. I really wished I had some that big, they looked so impressive.

Comments (8)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fast foward a couple of years, I planted this one in the garden, mid winter last year. About knee high, had been growing in a pot.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fast forward again, this time only 10 months, and this is what it's turned into today. Wishing is a good start, but doing something about it helps a lot more. Now if I could only apply that to some other aspects of my life.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Nice!! I miss Xanthosoma...

• lomodor
    10 years ago

tropic..that is one super xanthos !!!
    i didnt get mine that big last yr.. i had them in to much
    sun too..
    one that has possibility of being a giant is x.robusta
    it looks good..from overwintering.. i hope to get everything
    planted this week.. "hope" lol
    i did get a dozen bananas planted today..

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Leafhead, they do look great.

Dave, with all you've got in your at place it must look amazing. You'll have to post some pictures of it some time. I cut 2 suckers off my main plant because it's already got the 2 to follow the motherplant. The suckers I put in a place where the soil pathogen is normally, the one that affects bananas. Hoping that somehow the pathogen might have disappeared and bananas can be grown there again.

• lomodor
    10 years ago

i got all my nanners in today..oh my aching back.. luckily i had helpers..sigh..
    this yr i did better planning around my aroids..i get full sun and its got to be to much for most of my EE's..
    and last couple yrs..they did well..alocasias that were shaded by nanners did best..duh.. i should pay attention !!
    but last couple yrs..geesh.. all of the EE's pupped like crazy.. even lari ann gardiners alocasia robodora ..which im very ok with.. :)
    i hope my x.robusta put on some size this yr!!
    now heres hoping we have a good summer..mmmm

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Reminds me of the Xanthasomas in Riverside, a neighborhood just outside Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. It was one of those microcosms where Xanths would just grow to monstrous sizes. It was a low lying area next to the New River. I remember leaves seven feet long on 5-6 foot petioles.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

WOW !!!!!! If only we could wish for our wallets to grow that big..
    Christine

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022