Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EE in container or ground?

Posted by tessaduncan z6 MI (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 8:36

I successfully overwintered my EEs & they're already a foot high so I have to plant soon (our last frost date is in a couple of weeks) but where? Last year they were in 22" pots & didn't really do that well. They never got taller than about a foot & a half & I had a problem with yellowing leaves later in the season. (They were well-watered & in full sun). The 'bulbs' were huge though; I started with coconut-size & when I unpotted them last fall they were like footballs! Were the pots too small & did that stunt their growth? I'd like to keep them in pots but I'll put them in the ground if I have to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EE in container or ground?

How about a large container such as a half whisky barrel? Plant them in a completely organic material that stays very moist to even wet. It sounds like your plants last year were starved for moisture and probably nutrients. When in growth they are heavy feeders! Also, give them plenty of sun too, provided the roots remain moist. Hotter soil will give you better growth. Another option is to buy a small hard plastic kiddy pool and sink it in the ground. Put a few holes half way up the sides (four is enough) but not in the bottom. Fill with top soil or the like. This mini-bog will suit them well.

In Florida these grow wild along canal banks and can get HUGE. In the south I would protect them from full on sun, but in your zone I'd give them much more. PF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here